Hamilton

Guest Damiansinc

Guest Damiansinc

I've grown very fond of the musical Hamilton (I was very late to the game). In it is a song called Wait for It. I found this snippet of lyrics to be quite powerful:

Death doesn't discriminate

Between the sinners and the saints,

it takes and it takes and it takes

and we keep living anyway.

We rise and we fall

and we break

and we make our mistakes.

And if there's a reason I'm still alive

when everyone who loves me has died

I'm willing to wait for it.

I'm willing to wait for it.

Wait for it.

It's an amazing musical and I couldn't more highly recommend it.

ALD - Hamilton is my current obsession and has been for a few months now.  I'm a huge music lover but not generally a fan of musical theater so listening to a Broadway cast recording of something over and over again is fairly out of character for me but holy hell do I adore it. 

"Wait for It" is one of the handful of songs that I return to most exactly for the lines you copied.  And sometimes, on the rare occasions when feeling a little more emotionally solid, also for the defiantly belted out:

I am the one thing in life I can control

I am inimitable

I am an original

I?m not falling behind or running late

I?m not standing still

I am lying in wait

And despite listening to the album over and over again, "Stay Alive (Reprise)" "It's Quiet Uptown" and "The World Was Wide Enough" still make me cry every time.

Warning: personal anecdote ahead:

I think I'm maybe a little hypersensitive about because Tim and I had been super excited about this project since we first heard about it back in early 2012.  I'm a big fan of MSNBC host Chris Hayes, and when he still had his weekend morning show he had Lin Manuel Miranda (an old high school friend of his) on one Sunday morning to talk about his new project. Back then wasn't planned to be a musical but was instead supposed to be a concept album called The Hamilton Mixtape.  The link below has an early a cappella version of "My Shot" on it from that very same episode:

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/159260/watch-lin-manuel-miranda-perform-a-hip-hop-verse-from-the-hamilton-mixtape-on-up/

Anyway, my husband would work Sunday mornings so I saw that performance before he got home and was just floored.  Tim was an even more avid music fan than I am, and was also going to school to get his teaching degree.  He wanted to be a high school history teacher.  I was so excited to be able to share this amazing history/musical mashup and just as I suspected he loved it too.  At the time, the only music from Hamilton you could find was the video I linked to above and this video of Miranda singing the opening number at the White House for President and Mrs. Obama in 2009: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8_ARd4oKiI. 

We shared that video with everyone we knew, and when he started student teaching at a public high school in an economically depressed area of Chicago (just a few months before he died) he even used it as a teaching aid - printing out the lyrics and sharing them and the song with his class.  Recently, when going through old school things of his I even found a short paper he wrote about how the song (and songs like it) could be used in the classroom and the types of analyzing and other forms of critical thought exercises could be used in conjunction with it.

So now that the musical is done and out and an amazing success, it's bittersweet... Tim was right.  It's being used in classrooms around the country and pretty much everyone who encounters in loves it. 

But it hurts a little, how good it ended up being.  I Tim would have loved it.  And used it in his classroom to amazing effect.  It's just one more "might have been" twists of the knife :(

Guest TooSoon

MrsT - I am also completely (and I mean completely and utterly) obsessed with Hamilton.  It is a flipping masterpiece (and this coming from someone who has what I'd go so far as to call a phobia of musicals).  Genius!  Kicking myself for not getting tickets when I had the chance earlier this summer!

I love love LOVE this show, and the musical style is *so* far from what I know and like that it's slightly mind-blowing. Nevertheless, it's barely been out of my CD player since I got it for Christmas. That line from "It's Quiet Uptown:" "... learn to live with the unimaginable." It had me in tears. And the verse you quoted from "Wait for It"-- yes, all the way.

I would love to see it, but it will be awhile-- even if I could get to NYC, there's no way I could swing the $400 tickets! Maybe someday... I expect it will have a nice, long run.

Guest TooSoon

I took M to the (super-cheesy)  "run for president" exhibit at the Constitution Center in Philly this weekend (I'm pretty disillusioned given the current state of affairs in this country (feel the bern!) so this was a stretch for me as a parent and I only did it bc she is obsessed with the election even though we don't have TV and I thought she'd be inoculated from the lunacy, I still want her to understand the process because she is genuinely curious about it) but she was completely into it bc of Hamilton which I've been playing in the car for about a month ("Mommy, what are the Federalist Papers about?"). She was telling the guards and docents at the museum about the battle of Yorktown and abolitionists and the different branches of government and how we are all immigrants and self-made and so forth.  Momentarily awkward but love it!  My little revolutionary!  Hamilton is a masterpiece.  Lin-Manuel Miranda is my hero. 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TooSoon

So we are completely obsessed with Hamilton.  We are a little OCD about music.  I just wanted to say that my daughter renamed one of our two cats tonight.  He is henceforth, "Alexander Catmilton"  I love reinforcing the message to my kid - never give up your shot! 

Guest Damiansinc

So we are completely obsessed with Hamilton.  We are a little OCD about music.  I just wanted to say that my daughter renamed one of our two cats tonight.  He is henceforth, "Alexander Catmilton"  I love reinforcing the message to my kid - never give up your shot!

This pleases me greatly. I can't get my 6 year old to stop listening to We Will Rock You by Queen

Guest TooSoon

I totally recorded her with my phone singing the theme song from Hamilton in the shower the other night.  Evil Mommy!  All I know about little kids and music is that I will live happily ever after if I never, ever hear either that Pharell Williams song or the theme song from Frozen (if you've managed to escape this, consider yourself among the fortunate) ever again.

Guest Damiansinc

My daughter's girlfriend just broke up with her over the weekend. Rhi called her on Sunday and sang the entirety of "You'll Be Back." It was priceless!

I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love!

Guest TooSoon

My daughter (9) is so confused by this song.  She loves it but also finds the "I will kill your friends and family to remind you of my love" line not funny at all.  I keep trying to explain the humor in it but 9 year olds are so literal and she doesn't think there is anything funny about it!  I've tried to explain but it just might be one of those childhood mysteries.  Like how my parents refused to tell me what Simon and Garfunkel were referring to when they  said something about a "J" in one of their songs that was on constant loop in my parents' car in the early 80s. 

Guest TooSoon

For fun, I challenge anyone to master "Guns and Ships."  I believe it to be humanly impossible as M and I have tried to get beyond, "Everyone give it up for America's favorite fighting Frenchman."  If you or yours can do it, we eagerly anticipate a video or facetime. 

Guest TooSoon

This is the first thing that's made me smile today. Challenge accepted-- I'll get to work. ;)

Good luck!  We get to the word, "Lafayette" and are then reduced to incomprehensible murmuring until the end.