Mt. Monadnock Hike Bago

rifatheroffour

Hi all, today Hachi and I discussed wanting to go hiking...so...the plan with plenty of notice...

Saturday October 1, 2016

Mt. Monadnock, New Hampshire

We are planning on a full day hike to get up the mountain have lunch at the top and hike back down.  Round trip would be up to 5 miles depending on the response and interest.  Starting between 9 or 10 am we would be done around 3pm

Who's in?

Rudi (RIFatherofFour)

Come on everyone! Don't be scared, anyone can hike Mt. Monadnock!

http://www.monadnocktravel.com/mountain-hiking-climbing-mt-monadnock.html

"Even the novice hiker can enjoy this mountain hiking experience to get a glimpse of the breathtaking 100 mile views of six New England states with little New England towns, ponds, rivers and forests covering the land."

That's a long hike from Kansas in the middle of a semester!  I'm likely to be pulling my hair out next October as I work to finish my culminating experience - our version of comprehensive exams.  It would be awesome to take a fall hike where there are actual trees and hills to see...but I doubt I can work this one in.

Maureen

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a ski lift at the top for people who are too exhausted to hike back down - haha.

Ok, ok. Count us in. What are a few blisters between friends?

DonnaP and MrDrew

Us, where exactly IS Mt. Monadnock?

Mt. Monadnock is located in Jaffrey, NH, here is a link to the state park website for any questions about the hiking.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/monadnock-state-park.aspx

Also my kids want to join me for this so I'm thinking this is a kid friendly event.  Honestly they will most likely hike ahead anyway...lol.  So if anyone wants to bring kids along...mine are all teens from 14 to 19.  I've hiked this route with scouts from 11 to 17 before without trouble.  There is some hand over hand rock climbing but nothing technical requiring any gear other than decent shoes.

The route I wold like to take pending weather conditions...

Starting at visitors center...White Dot Trail...bear right to Cascade Link...left onto Spellman Trail...left onto Pumpelly...to Summit, have packed lunch

Decent, pending weather...White Arrow Trail...left onto Amphitheater Trail...to Bald Rock...to Lost Farm Trail...left onto Parker Trail leading back to parking area.

Here is the map... http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/MonadnockHikingTrailsMap_All_2010.pdf

I'm really looking forward to this so far we have...

riff

hachi

donswife

kpgct

JeanGenie

mizjsea

Suki1

DonnP

MrDrew

Maybe...

Max2507

Captains wife

If it is kid friendly, I may very well be in with DD. A lot depends on soccer schedule but if she can't make it, I may be able to get her to stay at a friend's house.

So count me in - I'll figure out a way to make it work.

So glad I came on here tonight. I haven't checked in for months and months!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, I was on top of Monadnock on Saturday with my daughter's girl scout troop with beautiful weather.  It has me really excited to go again with all of you. So some updated info below...

Mt. Monadnock is located in Jaffrey, NH, here is a link to the state park website for any questions about the hiking.

http://www.nhstateparks.org/visit/state-parks/monadnock-state-park.aspx

Sadly my kids will not be joining me as they have a school band commitment the same day.  But if anyone wants to bring kids along who can handle the hiking I still say go for it.  I've hiked this route with scouts from 11 to 17 before without trouble.  There is some hand over hand rock climbing but nothing technical requiring any gear other than decent shoes (hiking boots preferred).  This last trip we started on the mountain around 10:15am and got back to the bottom around 5pm.  We took a lot more breaks that I'm used to and a longer route adding close to an hour.  So I still think 3 to 4pm to finish is realistic.  I'm not sure yet if I am staying the night camping or heading home.  I'd be able to stay for dinner and some additional conversation afterward if there is any other interest. Let me know.

The route I wold like to take pending weather conditions...

Starting at visitors center...White Dot Trail...bear right to Cascade Link...left onto Spellman Trail...left onto Pumpelly...to Summit, have packed lunch

Decent, pending weather...White Arrow Trail...left onto Amphitheater Trail...to Bald Rock...to Lost Farm Trail...left onto Parker Trail leading back to parking area.

Here is the map... http://www.nhstateparks.org/uploads/pdf/MonadnockHikingTrailsMap_All_2010.pdf

I'm really looking forward to this, updated list as pf today we have...

riff

hachi + 1

donswife

JeanGenie

mizjsea

Suki1

DonnP

MrDrew

Guaruj

tmwenger

Maybe...

Max2507

Captains wife

hikermom + DD?

missingsquish

Can we get a confirmation on the time and place we are supposed to meet?

Also, Andrew and I will most likely grab dinner somewhere in the vicinity -- if anyone would like to join us, you are welcome.

We would like to go to The Old Mill Restaurant in nearby Westminster, MA. Here is a review on tripadvisor:

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g41927-d504832-r143520623-1761_Old_Mill_Restaurant-Westminster_Massachusetts.html