My son...

SoVerySad

who is 17 had another episode of his heart racing yesterday. We have an appointment with a Pediatric Cardiologist coming up Thursday. It can't come soon enough as I am beside myself with worry and trying with all my might not to show it.

When we went for his counseling appointment this week, he talked about how afraid he is of death. So afraid that he or I or his sister will die. It was heartbreaking. A 17 year old young man should not be so focused on death. It hasn't helped that in his Literature class he's been reading novels back to back dealing with death and even in his History class he's been reading The Jungle. My father has Stage IV cancer as well and we recently had to put our cat to sleep.

I want him to be young and care-free and unaware yet of how much life can really suck at times. I keep reminding him he has a lot of happy times to look forward to in his life as well. He's going to the movies with friends tonight, so he is doing things he enjoys, etc..

I just feel so sad he has this worry about death at his age, I guess. I feel sad for all our kids in that respect.

SVS, I hope all this eases up for you soon. I can't even imagine how stressful and scary this must be.

Yes, sadly our kids have every reason to fear losing another loved one, as they've already experienced huge loss. My youngest detests me travelling anywhere and both my boys are meeting me at the door wondering where I've been if I'm out a little longer than expected. Unfortunately there isn't much we can do to take that fear away. I've told them I can't promise nothing will ever happen to me, but I reassure them that they would be ok and taken care of if anything ever did. It's not much, but it's all I can offer them.

Thinking about you.

Thank you all. He had another episode of his heart rate being high again this evening when we went for Easter dinner at my in-laws. He loves going there, so I don't think it was panic/anxiety related. I thought we might be headed to the ER again, but it went back down. It would be good if someone could put us both in a sleep spell until Thursday.

Maureen, I hope your moratorium will come true.

Again, thanks for the hugs and support.

Finally, the day to see the Pediatric Cardiologist has arrived. Damn, this wait has been hard. As much as I've been looking forward to it, now I'm afraid. Afraid of receiving more bad news and my ability to handle it if so. I have felt so pushed to the edge of sanity already. I'm exhausted from not sleeping and trying not to show my worry. Masking your real feelings is really tiring, isn't it?

Hopefully in about 10 hours, I'll have some idea of what we're facing. I can do this... my sweet son needs me to make this as easy for him as possible.

Sending you some tight hugs and strength, SVS. Absolutely you can do it and WILL do whatever is needed to keep your son healthy and happy, you WILL overcome those hurdles one at a time, just like you have been doing already. Don't let the doctor be in charge of your son's health; we and we only are in charge of our health. Insist on more advanced screenings and tests if you feel you need it to rule out all potential conditions. It is better that it turns out to be nothing to worry about than a misdiagnosed condition. And then get a second opinion. Unfortunately this is what one needs to do nowadays to get a proper medical care.

Please update on the outcome today; I will be thinking of you and your young man, sending you both good vibes.

Fingers and toes all crossed for definitive and favorable answers.  Pretending to be strong and positive has been incredibly exhausting for me which is why I thank God I have a safe place here to fall apart.  We are all here from you, no need to ever pretend with us. 

Tight hugs.

As an update: We have some good news in that his echocardiogram didn't show any problems with his heart structure, etc.. Unfortunately, though, we still don't know what is causing the heart racing. He came home with a halter monitor on which he needs to wear for 24 hours. It seems weird to be hoping the heart racing happens again, but it would be good if it would while he's having the monitor on. We'll see how that turns out and go from there with deciding on further testing. The Cardiologist said that if he has another attack, he wants me to take him directly to the ER as soon as it starts, so that maybe they can catch it while it is happening to get a better idea of what exactly is going on.

My son is not too thrilled about wearing the monitor and we're having some trouble keeping the leads attached to his skin. I told him to look in our first aid kit for medical tape. He asked me if he could just use duct tape instead. I'm glad he asked me first. Ouch!!!

Wow, the echo he had done was so triggering for me. I probably sat with my husband through at least 20 of them during our years together. It brought a lot of those memories back. I couldn't believe that now I was sitting there with my son. I tried to turn away, but on the other side of me was a treadmill that reminded me of my experience in my stress test that identified my own v-tach issue. I was glad when the test was over.

I was hoping to be able to sleep tonight, but no luck yet. At least we know more than we did yesterday. I'm a lousy waiter, but it is all we can do for now. I was really proud of how brave he was (and me, too, actually).

Thank you so much for the hugs and support. It means more than you know.

SVS, I sure hope that they can catch the rapid heart rate on the monitor.  As much as you don't want anything to be going on...you know that something is happening, so lets catch it, eh?  I can't disagree about getting to the ER and catching the EKG while the rapid heartbeats are happening.  And I sure am glad your son decided to ask before putting duct tape on his skin.  I don't have any trouble keeping leads on me, but I seem to have a local reaction to the adhesive and I end up with square red blotches for days after I have had any kind of monitoring for procedures or surgery.  If they can't find anything with a 24 hour monitor, I believe they can do monitors for longer periods.  I hope, for his sake, it doesn't come down to that!

Hang in there.  I'll be watching for updates.

Maureen

Wow, Maureen, I also have a allergic reaction to the patch stickers they hook the leads to (the square ones that feel a little like foam with a snap on them). The night before my surgery to implant my defibrillator, I started with reddened and swollen areas around each one. I showed the nurse I had that night and he said he had never seen anyone react to them before, but clearly I was. I was so worried they would have to wait another day to do my surgery, but thankfully they didn't.

He was used to working sometimes in another area of the hospital where they used a different type, so he had them send those up to try. I didn't react to them. Later in my stay, one of the other nurses tried to apply the ones I react to. When I told her I reacted to those, she argued with me showing they said hypoallergenic on them. I told her to go check the nurses notes. There was no way I was going to allow her to put them anywhere close to my recent surgery site where the ICD wires went into my heart.

Now I know I'm not the only one. I also react to band-aids and most medical tapes.

The Cardiologist did say they could do a longer monitor for my son, if needed. I hope it won't come to that, as he really didn't like wearing the monitor. But if need be, he'll have to.