Idle Hands are the Devil's Workshop?!

Guest Munsen

Guest Munsen

Or that's what my Grandma used to tell me...

I've found in this journey that one thing that helped me in my grief was filling those newly empty hours without my hubby. I'd always enjoyed crafting when he was away on the road but they became a life-saver in many ways. Perhaps returning to some of my hobbies was a small light in the darkness of grief? I'm not sure how much was escapism in the occupying of my mind or the actual act of using my hands in creating something that helped me feel like I was rebuilding after the loss of my husband.

Either way, my handwork has helped me. I hear of others that have found comfort in other areas like photography, knitting, home improvements, etc. but the same principle of using one's hands to build or create seems to fit.

As many here may know via other craft threads on the old board, I do a little bit of several fiber arts. Jill of all trades, mistress of none as my mother loves to tell me. Anyway, as much as I like creating my projects, I enjoy seeing what others are creating as well so please feel free to post pictures of your latest creations. 

I'm also hoping that those who see someone doing something they are interested in, will feel free to ask for advice or references to good sites or books or Youtube help.

[imghttp://Baby%20Afghan_zpsfuiiqjur.jpg Here is the baby afghan I made for one of my nieces recently.

Mila%20Birth%20Announcement2_zpse5n6wurn.jpg

The cross stitch Birth Announcement for my granddaughter

Wedding%20Doily_zpsndvlaf0j.jpg

This is the hardanger doily I made for my hairdresser's wedding gift.

I don't know - I think it works in general.  WHO doesn't like looking at crafts???  Ok, so maybe lots of people.  Still, I think it is kind of a general type topic.  But who knows.

Thanks for starting it!  I am excited to contribute.  Your work is just lovely :D

ETA - LOL - ignore the girl that only read the post saying this was the wrong forum  :-[  The rest of it I still mean

That is some amazing stuff you have there!!!

Right after B's accident I began to panic because I had a white elephant gift that I needed to hand make before December 20th (We laid B to rest on November 19th)

I had not done cross stitch in a VERY long time and it shows, but it was nice to get something completed.. Now if only I could start another project ..

10881170_10153532593113438_1905926626_n.jpg

Guest littlebirdie

I'm so glad you started a thread over here. I finished my scarf, but I only have the picture of the pattern I posted at the other board. It's really long and the yarn is wool, so it's warm too. Of course I would finish it right as the weather is warming up. There's always next winter.

20150308_111451_zpst5ewrpps.jpg

I need you to teach me how to knit afghans. I've never made anything that large. Scarves, hats, and the odd sweater is pretty much my forte.

Long ago I crocheted ... nothing fancy and I couldn't do it if it wasn't square. I still cant lol.  Then I landed in photography and digital scrapbooking which were my passion for so long. My camera has been in the pawn shop and my fingers itch for it ... I look at the light in the mornings and itch to photograph it.  But a friend gave me some yarn recently and I was GOING to make a scarf but couldn't remember increasing and stuff like that, so I backpeddled and am working on an afghan. It's nothing but one giant granny square but it's soothing to me in the evenings.  I'll take a pic tonight.  I miss my craftiness and my creativity. It's a small start but maybe it's a start.  It does help my mind shut up when panic attacks start to come to just sit down with the yarn and just concentrate on the stitches for a little while.

Guest Munsen

I wish I could knit! I am envious of all your guys' mad skillz!

I wished I lived close enough to teach you! :)  But, no fear, there are many other options nowadays to anyone who is really interested.

First off, I'd recommend checking out your 'want to do' craft on Youtube. You will find all sorts of experts showing you the basics. :)

As far as knitting goes, there are several Youtube video options for the beginning knitter but I'll link to the one that came up first in my feed:

Plus there are tons of good books for the beginner. http://www.amazon.com/Learn-Knit-Books-Absolute-Beginner/lm/R2B627U3IFWRNW

I confess that I am largely self taught in several of the crafts I do so I'm confident with the right video or book, it is possible for others. I've also seen in Michaels (a Canadian Craft superstore) packages for beginning knitters (or crocheters) with a set of needles and instruction book. All you need is to buy a ball of yarn to practice with. Good luck! And feel free to stop back with any questions. :)

Guest littlebirdie

I wish I could knit! I am envious of all your guys' mad skillz!

If we ever manage to meet up, I will teach you. :)

Munsen's suggestion for YT videos is a good one. I've learned to do some more complicated stitches that way.

Guest Questions

Very nice work Munsen!

I'm extremely impressed.. You're very talented!

Now come decorate my walls, ok? The neon beer signs aren't cutting it ;)

(((hugs)))

• 1 month later...

Well, as usual I have trouble with "everything in moderation".  I have been going all out on a couple things lately - one is taking time each day for some type of crafty work.  At some point I will go back through some stuff I have saved and find the explanations to why I think it is a really important goal for me and why it helped me so much in this long walk we are all on.  First, I have been working on my free-motion quilting.  If you know me this will make sense - I almost failed kindergarden because of my poor fine motor skills.  I actually got a special exemption from writing in script years later (I think this was more to benefit my teachers).  SO - maybe someday my FMQ will be suitably passable enough to share - but today I will just say I am working on it every day for at least 10 minutes.

Second - I am making a cathedral windows quilt all by hand.  I started it quite a while ago and never get too far.  I have set a goal of completing 5 squares MINIMUM a week.  I probably need about 350 squares total, so it will still be a while in the making, but here's what I got this week (and it is only Tuesday!)  I actually have finished 3 of the four pinned windows since taking the photo.

IMG_1583.jpg

Guest Munsen

AC, I haven't done much quilting, only a log cabin quilt. I've got the blocks done but have never put it together much less 'quilted' it.  I have ambition to do more but it never seems to happen.

However, my mom had a huge quilting library that is currently stashed in my sewing room from when I cleaned her house out last summer. So, if you can be patient, I will go through her books and see what suggestions they have. Until then I would google 'quilting pixels to inches' or something similar and see what blogs or quilt sites come up.

I did find this tutorial on Craftsy but didn't have the time to search it all the way through so hope it's helpful for you. http://www.craftsy.com/class/pictures-to-pixel-quilts/160 

Hope that helps. :)

PS LOVE the picture! Mauves and all. lol  ;D

My camera has been in the pawn shop and my fingers itch for it ... I look at the light in the mornings and itch to photograph it. 

Sorry so that your camera is unavailable, but remember: the best camera is the one that you have with you. Grab your phone, or borrow an old point-and-shoot from someone.

Keep those creative juices flowing, and don't let lack of equipment get in your way. Lots of pro-photographers are publishing iPhone pictures.

I got my baby (my camera lol) back last week and attended a civil war reenactment and even have plans to submit some of the photos for a contest they are having. I can't express in words how good it felt to  hold that camera in my hands. It was the last thing Chad ever gave me, I actually received it in the mail after he died.  So I didn't want to lose it.  But yes Justin I do have a pretty good cell phone camera and it does get quite a workout because it's always with me.  I just giggle when people say you must have an expensive/great/fancy camera.  And then I say, oh I took that with my phone lol.  90% of photography is IN the photographer.  No amount of fancy equipment can fake it :)