What are you reading?

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

I grew up in a Philip K. Dick household (my father has every single thing he's ever written in first edition) which could be, in part why my interests veered away from sci-fi. 

Keep on posting what you're all reading! 

The whole Dune series, once again! It's better than the first time.

This was the first thing I read after Jim died. It was probably his all-time favorite series, and I wish I'd read it before he passed, because *he* made so much more sense to me after I read it. The week before he died, we finally watched the David Lynch movie-- I'd never seen it, even though I'd heard plenty about it from him. We were going to watch the SciFi channel miniseries version too, but we didn't get to it. :(

It's funny that the first thing you read was something just mentioned by another member.  The first thing I read after Tim died was a collection of Phillip K Dick essays - the author just mentioned by TS above!  I remember Tim saying that PKD wrote some of the most well-thought-out-but-totally-nuts theories on the nature of reality and even though a lot of the ideas seemed ridiculous on their face they really made him stop and think.  And once I got my concentration back enough to read anything, I thought some far-out ideas on the nature of reality and life-and-death was just what I needed.

1 to 6, Rob - don't even venture past them. The prequels and sequels written by Jr. have none of the heart and spirit that Frank Herbert brought to the table. And - I love that I have fellow sci-fi geeks here.

Guest TooSoon

So I just finished this book "The End of Days" by Jenny Erpenbeck.  I have no clue what the take-away is but I could not put it down these past few days.  Its going to drive me wild until I puzzle it out. 

Anyone else ever read a book they couldn't put down but also didn't understand?  If so, which ones?

• 3 weeks later...

ADP, I read Independence Day by Richard Ford, he has a way with words, yes?

And currently halfway through the above mentioned  Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. Without giving anything away, it will have impact on the community here. Enjoying immensely.

So curious as to how others read: Kindle or actual books? I kick it old school with the books. If I were traveling lightly around the world, I would definitely look into the Kindle though.

Guest TooSoon

I couldn't give up my books.  No way, no how. 

Right now I'm reading David Gates' A Hand Reached Down to Guide Me.  I love it but have a feeling it might be an acquired taste.  After this Anne Enright's The Green Road. 

I'm so curious now about Fates and Furies; on my shelf but haven't touched it yet.  I bought it because President Obama said it was his favorite book of 2015.