The Broadway Channel

Jen

I was raised by a classical musician: my dad is a choral conductor with a PhD in music education and most of a second in keyboard. He teaches theory, voice, piano, and organ. My mom was a professional soprano before she got married; my sister is a singer/songwriter. Music is and has always been integral to my life.

Growing up, we were only allowed to listen to classical music or my mom's stack of Broadway records. Consequently, I've been a fan of musicals forever, and even though I can't even identify currently popular artists, I can sing at least one song from just about every Broadway show since 1943. All right, that might be a slight exaggeration-- it occurs to me that I don't know anything from Starlight Express or Nine-- but the point is, musical theater is my paradigm, and I'm more likely to find something meaningful in some phrase by Sondheim or Schwartz than in any self-help book.

I've been threatening to do this for awhile. I don't expect anyone else to contribute, but please feel free to add anything you like from the Great White Way. I'm just putting links to songs that I find significant. I don't know... you might like some of them. :)

The way I've felt over the past few days, my first inclination was to start with "Learn to be Lonely," from the movie version of Phantom. But that's not where I want to be, so I opted for this one instead. It's sort of an overcoming adversity song from The Scarlet Pimpernel. Take the drama in stride, okay? It's theater. ;)

"Into the Fire": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZXpo2WFbXA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also a Broadway junkie, and had trouble picking just one to post but I'm going with 'Everybody Says Don't' from Sondheim's Anyone Can Whistle as a fitting follow up to your choice

PS:  Like you I can probably sing at least part of one song from most musicals (including Nine and Starlight Express) but I use the word 'sing' VERY loosely

Yes, I love this!

When I was little, we had kid's records - old school Disney and stories - but my father hated pop music. I didn't own any contemporary music until jr high.

But I had my Mom's tiny collection of Broadway soundtracks and the storyteller in me loved stories that burst into song.

Love your links. And as I was trolling the side bars - found this one. A Sondheim from 1970. Company. Neil Patrick Harris is main character but a lot of other recognizable faces.

Song is called "Being Alive"

Thanks for starting this thread, Jezzy!

I love you guys!!! I honestly didn't think anyone would respond to this. Yay, I'm not the only musical geek out there! :D

Gabzmom, in my best moments, I almost think I can be determined enough to defy gravity. Wicked is almost always in my CD player in the car-- some songs make me cry too much to sing ("That Girl," "Because I Knew You"), but the rest can generally be counted on to boost my mood. It's so hard to choose, but it's probably my all-time favorite show.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I still love Into the Woods-- I remember seeing the original cast performing the title song on the Tonys many, many moons ago. I try very hard to keep this in mind: "No One is Alone."

There are several musicals that are classics that I have not seen yet, (pretty much everyone that you awesome people have mentioned). That being said, I was raised watching Danny Kaye musicals and Les Mis... Interesting mix huh.

The link is NOT a boost your mood song, so please use discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljijk2T8zV4

For a long time I have had to tune out this part of the production because it had made me think of a friend of mine from high school who over dosed, and then to the friends over the years that I just lost contact with. Now it has a far far different meaning to me.

I'm a certifiable Sondheim freak (including getting on line at Lincoln Center at 3am back in the 80s for the Follies concert) and Being Alive and No one is Alone were the other two I thought about posting :)

Jen- Definitely go see the movie.  I've seen the show twice (the original and the Central Park revival) and they did a very good job in keeping the feel of the show. (and surprise surprise, unlike the Les Mis movie they could all sing).

Speaking of movies-  Last Five Years is worth seeing (its on pay per view channels) if you're in a place where you can handle a musical about a disintegrating marriage.

Oh, yes. Les Mis definitely falls into the "sob my way through" category, sigh. But there's something to be said for catharthis... and I do love this song. ((((HUGS))))

I also adore Danny Kaye!! He was my fave math teacher ever in Merry Andrew-- "The square of the hypotenuse of the right triangle... " And sometimes I get his ruminations stuck in my head: "An inspector generally inspects-- that is, the Inspector General inspects generally... " Lol. Lord, that's obscure. No wonder people give me weird looks when I open my mouth... ;)

Oh, Sondheim! So many of my faves are his-- A Little Night Music, Sweeney Todd, Into the Woods... and if it's not my absolute favorite, it's in my top 5: Sunday in the Park with George. I love this show, and this is the most significant song in it. I couldn't listen to it for a long time-- the idea of moving forward was too painful, and being told to "move on" was downright insulting. (My mother told me one day, around two months out, that I needed to move on. I quite literally screamed at her, "NO I DO NOT!!!!!") But it speaks volumes to me now. The lyrics are so compelling to me:

Stop worrying where you're going-- move on.

If you could know where you're going, you've gone--

Just keep moving on.

I chose, and my world was shaken-- so what?

The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not...

The song is here, along with the lyrics: http://soundkrayons.blogspot.com/2010/04/songs-of-substance-move-on-by-stephen.html

I know the very title of the song could be triggering ("Move On"). Please don't think I'm telling anyone that they need to "get over it" or "move on" or anything like that. For me, this song says that we can't stand still, even when we desperately want to-- I never wanted to leave Jim behind, not for a minute, and the idea of moving forward in any way was completely repugnant. But the clocks keep ticking, the calendar keeps changing, week after week and month after month. I'm learning to bring Jim with me as I find my own way to move on.

I LOVED Hans Christen Anderson as a kid! I so want to watch it right now.. Hide under my covers and pretend im less than 10 again.

Ever seen some "alt" musicals, like Repo! The Genetic Opera or Devil's Carnival?

"Inch worm, inch worm,measuring the marigolds... " :D

Yes, I've seen both of those! Thanks to my "I am NOT a Goth!" daughter, we've watched them repeatedly. I do love me some Anthony Head... ;)

In fact... that triggers a sweet memory of my Jim. He was forever making up silly songs about this, that, or the other-- his cats were one of his favorite subjects ("Deck the halls with shaven kitties, fa la la la la... "). After we saw Repo! he started singing (I use the term loosely), "Kittens come in a little glass vial. A little glass vial? A little glass vial, and it's loaded in the gun like a battery... The gun goes off, and you're ready for surgery, surgery. Surgery, surgery... "

Lol. I know you had to be there, but it was so insane and adorable. He usually had a cat to use as a prop. Used to crack me up. 

In fact... that triggers a sweet memory of my Jim. He was forever making up silly songs about this, that, or the other-- his cats were one of his favorite subjects ("Deck the halls with shaven kitties, fa la la la la... "). After we saw Repo! he started singing (I use the term loosely), "Kittens come in a little glass vial. A little glass vial? A little glass vial, and it's loaded in the gun like a battery... The gun goes off, and you're ready for surgery, surgery. Surgery, surgery... "

Lol. I know you had to be there, but it was so insane and adorable. He usually had a cat to use as a prop. Used to crack me up.

OMG that sounds adorable!!! B used to make up very Suessian poems or little songs. We had very silly men!

This is something I actually am starting to dip into, having NOT been exposed to it growing up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie version of Phantom (the one with Gerard Butler). I've watched it hundreds of times. Same with Les Mis and I've seen Into The Woods movie which I LOVED. Living in eastern NC theres not been many broadway opportunities lol.  Im reading Wicked now and have listened to the soundtrack but would love to see it. Tell me which ones I NEED to get started with, this is something I've always wanted to explore.

This is something I actually am starting to dip into, having NOT been exposed to it growing up. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie version of Phantom (the one with Gerard Butler). I've watched it hundreds of times. Same with Les Mis and I've seen Into The Woods movie which I LOVED. Living in eastern NC theres not been many broadway opportunities lol.  Im reading Wicked now and have listened to the soundtrack but would love to see it. Tell me which ones I NEED to get started with, this is something I've always wanted to explore.

Jen, are you on this? Cause I need a homework list as well :)

Yesm Sondheim and it's interesting how song lyrics trigger different responses pre/post widowhood and even different at the different "stages" of our journeys.

I have always loved Into the Woods, but the Baker's story really changed for me after my LH died. The song he and Cinderella sing about how no one is alone even when they feel they are - actions ripple - is such a powerful one. And when he is holding his son at the end, wondering how he is going to go on, raise the boy alone and his wife's "ghost is coaching him - a killer at first but more hopeful and resonating as the years pass.

I went out to run some errands this morning-- guess what came on my stereo as soon as I turned the car on? Yep-- "Defying Gravity." Here are the lyrics that really resonate for me:

Glinda: You can have all you ever wanted...

Elphaba: I know... I don't want it-- no.

I can't want it anymore...

Something has changed within me

Something is not the same

I'm through with playing by the rules of someone else's game

Too late for second guessing

Too late to go back to sleep

It's time to trust my instincts

To close my eyes... and leap

It's time to try defying gravity...

This is the other one I have a hard time listening to... but it's so, so meaningful to me now, especially the first verse. "For Good" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsuiy824IuM

Broadway 101! Oooh, that's a hard one. I love them all-- some more than others, of course. The older stuff can seem hopelessly out of date, but it's still fun-- and some of those old performances, while very different from what we think of as "musical style" now, are amazing.

Here's how I started. As I said, I had a pile of my mom's records, and I devoured them. I watched the movies as often as I could on TCM and AMC, and on a few memorable occasions I actually got to see them in the theater. The best classic musical-to-movie adaptations:

My Fair Lady (FABULOUS movie, even if you're not into musicals-- Audrey Hepburn and Rex Harrison)

The Sound of Music (all over the media right now, it's the 50th anniversary)

Oklahoma! (must see!)

The Music Man (love love love!!!! You'd never expect Robert Preston to be a swoon-worthy leading man, but oh... )

South Pacific (a bit un-PC, and not my fave, but it's sort of a must-view from a history perspective)

Kiss Me, Kate (Ann Miller's legs are worth the price of admission. Here:

)

Damn Yankees! (Gwen Verdon's almost as good... not quite, but close)

Hello, Dolly! (Michael Crawford before he was the Phantom!)

Kismet

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (arguably better than the stage version, to be honest)

West Side Story (early Sondheim, and undeniably classic, but maybe too sad to watch)

Brigadoon

Camelot (NB: this is one of my top 5 favorite shows EVER, but the movies doesn't do it justice. Still, worth seeing.)

Chicago (much more recent, but EXCELLENT. I've never been a particular fan of Richard Gere, but in this one-- wow. Catherine Zeta-Jones will blow you away, and Queen Latifah--! They did a fab job with casting.)

Evita (Madonna and Antonio Banderas are definitely NOT Patti Lupone and Mandy Patinkin, but it's not a terrible adaptation)

Sweeney Todd (Go ahead and watch the Tim Burton one-- it's decent, and the cast is good-- but get hold of the Great Performances version with Angela Lansbury, who is the best Mrs Lovett EVER: http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/469605/Sweeney-Todd-Video-Clip-Worst-Pies-In-London.html )

Little of Shop of Horrors (technically an off-Broadway show, and they changed the ending considerably, but it's still awesome-- same writers who saved Disney with The Little Mermaid. Menken and Ashman were brilliant.)

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (again, not Broadway, but-- come on, Tim Curry in stockings!)

Annie (sorry, the Aileen Quinn version beats the recent remake hands-down-- Carol Burnett, Albert Finney, Ann Reinking, Bernadette Peters, and-- yes, again-- Tim Curry!)

There's a movie version of Wicked in the works. The musical bears only a passing resemblance to the book, by the way-- they're both excellent, but they're different animals.

So... short answer (too late!!!), start with the movies. Then jump into the soundtracks-- anything by Sondheim, Stephen Schwartz, Andrew Lloyd-Webber (okay, not everyone will agree with me there, lol). I started getting the album for every show that won a Best Musical Tony. Then I started getting the ones that were nominated. It sort of snowballed from there... SO. MUCH. BROADWAY!!!

Anyway... it's a start. ;) Hth!

LOL I've tried to pull myself "out of my feels" (as my teenager would say) while at work this afternoon and started playing the Phantom Soundtrack while my office mates eyes roll :P  Does it GET better than "All I Ask of You"???

What in hell.... a BROADWAY thread?!? You've got to be kidding me....

For your information, I did consider putting it up on Radio Hell, but decided the manager might react... well, like this. :P

Ok, peeps - plug this one into your browser.

http://www.bluegobo.com/

May it ease your burdens as you see fit. Please enjoy.

Oh, oh, oh!! I forgot Gypsy!!!! Has there ever been a decent film version? There was the TV movie they did with Bette Midler... Meh. :-\

Does it GET better than "All I Ask of You"???

Oh... I love that song. Always wanted someone to play that song for me, and mean it. Still do, pathetic as that is. Damn it. Crying now.

Jen, I needed this thread. I am going through Broadway song withdrawals now that my daughter has moved to New York.

I have to start with music from Phantom of the Opera due to the significance to my family. My official proposal to my wife was on the night we went to see Michael Crawford in The Phantom of the Opera in Los Angeles. A little over a decade later I took our daughter to see Phantom in Seattle. Her life was forever impacted by this first musical she ever saw.

"Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" with Sierra Boggess as Christine:

OKay - I think I need to make a list of the shows I am going to stream.  Planning to see If/Then when it comes to Seattle later this year as it ends this weekend. 

Love "Les Miz"  - saw it many years ago.

I don't understand a lick of opera but watched some of the kids in the Regional Solo & Ensemble competition.  A young girl sang a beautiful aria.  Just beautiful and it made me want to cry...

Just saw the additonal posts in the thread, Just Jen.  We have all the movie versions of Rogers & Hammerstein - my DD got a box set when she was 4.  Their version of Cinderella with Leslie Ann Warren is my absolute fave!

Purchased a vinyl album at the Goodwill for my daughter - Auntie Mame.  Looking for more because she is so into musicals and shows. 

Oh, I was going to add that version of Cinderella to the list. We did that one my junior year in high school-- I was Portia, the klutzy stepsister. I had to learn to prat-fall all over the stage. It was a blast!

There's a Great Performances recording of Cats out there somewhere-- I've heard they're going to make a big-budget Hollywood version. Of course there's the Jesus Christ, Superstar movie as well, and the Donny Osmond Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.