The Broadway Channel

Jen

I can't listen to the one from Sound of Music-- just seeing the link made me start crying. I sang that to Jim, once upon a time. I keep wondering if I'll ever have a reason to sing it again... and then I think I have no business thinking such a thing. Sometimes this whole thing really, really hurts.

So here's my anecdote (warning, language):

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, I am sorry. Didn't mean for that, Jen. I stumbled on it and haven't heard it in years.

On a brighter note, my nearly 13 yr old has discovered musicals on YouTube. I have been trying to nudge her for years but after she saw the movie version of Into the Woods, she began looking for it on YouTube and discovered the play and today - Wicked. I feel like a total success as a parent now.

Please don't apologise! It's a beautiful song-- it's not in the stage show, but when we did it (I was Mother Abbess, years and years ago-- no, I do not sing "Climb Ev'ry Mountain," ever!) we put it in anyway, because it's just such a lovely, moving scene. I would give anything to have that again, you know? I mean... I wasn't a terrible person, and I really felt as though Jim and I deserved each other, deserved to be happy. Then this happened. So do I still hang onto the idea that "somewhere in my youth or childhood, I must have done something good"?

I know there's no answer to that. And there's nothing wrong with having a good cry over a song. That's why I love Broadway, it encompasses the whole range of human emotion in such a meaningful way (for me). I'm probably not saying this very well-- but I love that I can find a song for literally *any* occasion. So many times the songs speak for me, and I love them for that.

As far as a parenting win, yes-- I think you can claim one. I certainly do-- my daughter and youngest son troll YouTube for shows. The other night we watched Spamalot on our smart TV via YouTube. How cool is that?? :)

That's why I love Broadway, it encompasses the whole range of human emotion in such a meaningful way (for me). I'm probably not saying this very well-- but I love that I can find a song for literally *any* occasion. So many times the songs speak for me, and I love them for that.

I am a lyrics person. I will asked, "How can you listen to this or that?" and it's not always a show tune but it is always because there is a phrase, line(s) or the whole damn thing that just speaks a truth for me about something.

Weirdly, my two go to's during the months leading up to LH"s death and the year following were the musical episode from season six of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Once More with Feeling) and Moulin Rouge.

Sometimes emotions need words that have to be sung.

You're exactly right. The words have always been so, so important to me.

In the aftermath of Jim's death, I found that my voice was gone. Not literally, but I couldn't sing. Not even "Happy Birthday," and it broke my heart all over again. Losing him, losing the life we had, losing the music on top of that-- I was terrified that it would never get better.

It took months, and some encouragement from one compassionate soul, but I gradually began to regain my voice. I started with Frozen and-- yep-- Once More, With Feeling. :)

I'm a huge Buffy fan, and I *love* that episode. I have the soundtrack, and that's the first thing I was able to sing through-- I was about 7 months out. So much of it resonated with me, but Spike stopped me (forgive me) dead:

Life's not a song,

life isn't bliss,

life is just this--

it's living.

You'll get along.

The pain that you feel

you only can heal

by living.

You have to go on living...

So one of us is living...

It was as if Jim was singing it himself (and he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket with a lid on it). My heart stopped. I think... maybe... that was the day I realised I had to keep going.

Spike sings at 3:41.

So much in season six resonated.

Spike when he's telling Buffy how long she was gone,

Buffy: How long was I gone?

Spike: Hundred and forty-seven days yesterday. Uh, hundred and forty-eighttoday. Except today doesn?t count, does it? How long was it for you? where you were?

Buffy: Longer.

Spike's intervention when Buffy is dancing for the song demon.

Willow's rage after Tara dies and Zander reaching through it to pull her back.

Watched those episodes - sometimes just scenes - over and over.

Maybe we need a thread for tv/movie characters too? So much of what comes out of Hollywood is just plain fiction where grief is concerend (understandably b/c we want happy endings, snappy/witty dialogue b/c anything else is too scary) but there are the occasional spot on's.

Joss Whedon just "got it". Cordelia's goodbye to Angel, for example. Willow's hesitancy with Kennedy. Joyce's death in season five. Powerful stuff.

I wasn't sure I would sign up here, thought I would just read every now and again,  but then I saw this thread and thought, "My people!"

Brief widow/musicalsjunkie bio -- ywbb board member (hispie) late,2005, four months after my DH died (brain tumor, benign. yeah right) . He was 49. I didn't post much, but made friends and felt very attached. Still keep up via Facebook. Almost 10 years later, time goes by and I'm Still Here, which brings me to my musicals portion of this tome . . . I don't remember a time in my life without musicals playing in the background. I met my bff when we were 8 and I happened upon her dancing in her garage to Dites Moi. Our family always had season tickets to the Civic Light Opera, and when I was 14 the original touring production of Company came through. I became an obsessed Sondheim fan. 16,000 days later, I still am, so it's a joy to see the love here.

There are so many memories bound up in musicals with my DH. The first time he asked me out--knowing nothing about me--it was to Bubbling Brown Sugar. He couldn't believe I'd already seen it. He was definitely a keeper. Too bad that wasn't to be. But we got married young and had 25 years together. I am ever grateful.

It was marvelous to know you

And it's never really through.

Crazy business this, this life we live in-

Can't complain about the time we're given-

With so little to be sure of in this world,

We had a moment!

A marvelous moment!

A beautiful time . . . .

WIth So Little to Be Sure Of

Anyone Can Whistle

My Buffy knowledge is a major fail. However, to not completely hijack from the last post, I offer this from Josh Weedon:

"I always want to sort of explode everything I'm looking at. I think I'm going to alienate the horror audience on a grand scale -- but one of the reasons why I love Stephen Sondheim more than any other writer is that every song he writes has a purpose. It's not just to entertain. It's usually a mediation on the kind of song that it is... as well as being brilliant."

Carry on!

(May 2 I see Fun Home on Broadway. Can't wait!)

For all you Julie Andrews fans, here is a 1956 live performance of "I Could Have Danced All Night"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X269B9gLwz0

My Fair Lady premiered on Broadway March 15, 1956 with Rex Harrison as Professor Henry Higgins and Julie Andrews as Eliza Doolittle. The show was a hit and had a record run (at the time) of 2,717 performances through September 1962. It won the Tony Award for best musical in 1957 and Rex Harrison won the Tony for best performance by a leading actor that year.

Ces and I saw My Fair Lady at the Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, CA in March 1991. After the show we heard the stuffy older crowd complaining about ?the same old rendition.? Sorry, but we were a couple of college kids seeing the show for the first time and loved the traditional playing. It was a special treat to see Henry Higgins played by Noel Harrison, the son of Rex Harrison. He even had some of the props that his father used in the original Broadway rendition.

It was a special treat to see Henry Higgins played by Noel Harrison, the son of Rex Harrison. He even had some of the props that his father used in the original Broadway rendition.

I love this show so much. One of my first performances ever was to sing "Wouldn't It Be Loverly" in a talent show when I was 8 years old. How awesome to see Noel Harrison as Prof Higgins!

This is the mood I'm in today, sad to say:

"You Oughta Be Here With Me," from Big River

Lyrics: http://www.lyricsondemand.com/soundtracks/b/bigriverlyrics/yououghtabeherewithmelyrics.html

As the day drags on... this keeps echoing in my head. For the record, I do not love this song. But I can't stop thinking it. :(

"Learn to be Lonely," from the movie version of Phantom-- can we say melodramatic? Sigh...

For Mrs. C, I am posting from the movie version of West Side Story which she loved. This song popped in my head last month while thinking of her. I am trying to keep the faith that there is a time and place for us, SOMEWHERE.

As the day drags on... this keeps echoing in my head. For the record, I do not love this song. But I can't stop thinking it. :(

"Learn to be Lonely," from the movie version of Phantom-- can we say melodramatic? Sigh...

[/quote

This is driving me crazy because I thought I knew the movie version of Phantom by heart, but I can't for the life of me remember what scene this song was in?

It wasn't actually in the show, but it was played during the end credits. It sort of blows my mind that it's Minnie Driver singing it.

"Child of the wilderness" doesn't strike me as especially Phantom-y, but I often feel like a kid who got lost in a vast, impenetrable forest, frantically looking for a way back to civilization. I'm desperately trying to come to terms with the fact that no one is coming to look for me. I don't think I can ever learn to love this life. :-/

I've been listening to Big River a lot lately-- several of the songs resonate; tonight it's this one.

"Waitin' for the Light to Shine":

The song appears twice in the show-- the first (slow) part is the one I prefer right now. The reprise is more upbeat and determined... fabulous, but I'm just not there tonight.  :-\

Okay, wading into this thread. I love musicals!  This is a song from The Secret Garden I listened to often once I could handle hearing music again called "How Could I Ever Know" sang mostly from the point of view of a deceased wife, but eventually dueting with the widower:

I love The Secret Garden-- I got to see it in Chicago a long, long time ago. It's still the one show I can't listen to. I tried-- I made it through three tracks before dissolving into helpless sobs. But I hear Rebecca Luken singing that song over, and over, and over in my head. And Mandy Patinkin: "How in the world, tell me, how in the world, can I live without your love? Why on the earth, tell me, why on the earth, should I stay now that you are gone?"

I'm having a bit of a bad day. I'm trying very hard to hold on:

"Hold On" (Secret Garden):

(The song starts at :50 or so.)

At one month out, I went to see my daughter perform in Secret Garden. That was pure agony; I sobbed through it and had to look away when she wasn't on stage. She had six performances in total. Fortunately, she let me off the hook from going to any of the others. Even now, while playing both songs posted from the show above my brain was in protective mode and tuning them out.

Oh, Jerald, I am so, so sorry. I can't even listen to the CD; I can't imagine actually seeing the show. Especially since your dd was in it-- you had to be so proud of her, but at the same time-- My heart would have been lacerated to ribbons. ((((((HUGS)))))))

My mom used to play songs from musicals when she was cleaning house. I'm surprised how many I learned more or less by osmosis, though early on I had no idea what they were about! I still like to listen to them, as well as to more recent ones.

Nathan Lane won a Tony in 2001 for Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical for his role as Max Bialystock in The Producers. Below is a comedic clip of Nathan Lane, Matthew Broderick, and the cast of The Producers. This is from their performance at the Tony Awards in 2001 and includes "sex starved widows." The Producers won the Tony for Best Musical that year.

I have been trying to find the soundtrack for this - no luck - but I did find some clips on YouTube.

1967 ABC television version of Carousel with Robert Goulet. My mother had it one vinyl. One of the first records I can remember listening to.

This is If I loved You, the whole scene complete with the banter in between Julie and Billy's not-declaration for each other.