The Broadway Channel

Jen

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My sister got to see this production at the National Theatre in London-- she said Hugh Jackman was amazing. I saw it on Great Performances, and, much as I love Hugh, I had to laugh at his attempt at a mid-American accent. :) The rest of the cast too, come to think of it...

Very true, lol! When we did Oklahoma! in high school, we spent a lot of time shaking our heads over the dialect. I guess Rodgers & Hammerstein didn't have much on idea how folks in eastern Oklahoma actually sound... ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I've been listening to Side Show, it's about a pair of conjoined twins who make it big in vaudeville (based on a true story). I identify strongly with it, from the first song ("Come Look at the Freaks") -- there's no question that I feel like a complete misfit, barely human these days. This song is the one I hear in my head, over and over, the question I can't stop asking. There's no answer, of course; maybe there never will be. I'm afraid that the ultimate reply is a final and resounding "NO ONE." :(

Who will call to say "I love you"?

Send me flowers or a telegram?

Who will proudly stand beside me?

Who will love me as I am?"

Edited to add: I posted this in a private Facebook group that some well-meaning but sometimes clueless friends set up for me. I got this response: "Glad to see you have a song in your heart, lady!"

Wow. Just... wow.

Off to sob into my pillow some more... :(

Tony Award winner Idina Menzel (Wicked, Rent, "Frozen," "Glee") will launch the national tour of If/Then, reprising her critically acclaimed, Tony-nominated performance in seven select cities, producers announced May 7.  http://www.playbill.com/news/article/starting-over-again-idina-menzel-will-launch-the-national-tour-of-if-then-348565

I got the opportunity to see Idina perform this role on Broadway and can't wait to see her perform in Seattle this November. Here is a link to the National Tour: http://ifthenthemusical.com/tour

Idina Menzel singing Always Starting Over:

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to Phantom. I know it's cliche, I don't care. I still love it. These are the songs that resonate right now:

"Think of Me" 

"All I Ask of You"

Not, for some reason, "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." Not tonight. Weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to Phantom. I know it's cliche, I don't care. I still love it. These are the songs that resonate right now:

"Think of Me" 

"All I Ask of You"

Not, for some reason, "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again." Not tonight. Weird.

This was our favourite musical Jen.

We closed our wedding reception with our last dance to All I ask of you......

Ever since it came out, I've wanted someone to sing that song with-- and mean it. I dreamed of singing it at my wedding. Well, I never actually had a wedding-- eloped both times-- and neither my ex nor Jim could carry a tune in a bucket, lol. Xh wouldn't have considered it, in any case-- Jim would have, if he was a singer. And he definitely would've meant it. He loved Phantom too, and he wanted nothing more than to be my protector and shelter.

Is it pathetic that I still hold out the tiniest hope that someone might find meaning in it with me... someday... ? :(

Not pathetic at all Jen.....I feel the same way.......or maybe I'm pathetic as well......

DH couldn't sing either!

I often longed for someone to sign romantic songs to me......

Maybe one day...maybe not....

Broadway music is back in the C house. DD is home for three weeks before returning to New York for summer classes. She is blasting her playlist while awaiting the Tony's to be shown on the west coast. It will be fun watching the awards together tonight, especially having seen some of the nominees this year.

It wasn't the best Tony Awards show ever, but I still enjoyed it-- as much as I can enjoy anything these days. I got my car back today after a month (total transmission rebuild, yikes!)-- I've been sharing my mom's car, and the only plus to it has been that she has Sirius. I've been immersing myself in Broadway for the past few weeks, and I've come across songs that hit me square in my lacerated heart-- some I knew, some I forgot I knew, some I'd never heard. Hair, for example, has never loomed large on my radar, but this song (from the 2009 revival) went straight to my core:

"Easy to be Hard" 

Lately I've had a profound sense of disconnect from-- well, everything. I feel so lost, and no one is looking for me anymore... :(

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All right, I'm still on Shrek. This song-- well, Fiona's part at the beginning-- really resonates for me. I had my fairy tale, and it was a good story, but it ended. Now it's time to write a new one.

"This is Our Story" :

Our big performing arts center is being remodeled right now, catwalk to orchestra pit, and they just announced that when it opens next year, Phantom is coming here! My daughter *loves* it, and I haven't seen it since 1990 (!), so I think we'll have to get tickets too. She'll be 16 in December, we'll just call it a late birthday present. I need to take my mother, too... she took me to see it back in the day, it's high time I returned the favor. :)

• 1 month later...

I saw A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder last weekend, it was fabulous and amazing and wonderful. I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop since I got home, and for some reason, this song has been stuck in my head. It has nothing to do with anything, really, but for reasons I can't explain it just resonates with me right now. Foolish to think anyone would ever want me... foolish to think that pigs could fly... :-\

"Foolish to Think":

• 1 month later...

Lately I've been listening to Shrek: The Musical a lot. This is the opening number. "It's a Big Bright Beautiful World, with happiness everywhere... it's peaches and cream and every dream comes true... BUT NOT FOR YOU."

Sigh. Just how I've been feeling lately. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Took my daughter to see the new Phantom production last night.

My daughter loved it! I think I may have created a live production monster!

This show brought back so many memories of seeing this in the past with my husband and dancing to some of the music at our wedding.

In many ways, this production was not as magical as the first for me. In many ways it was more magical sharing it with my daughter this time. 😊