Moving at last

Helen

It has taken me 4 years and at last I am leaving our family home and moving on. There were 7 of us at home and soon it will just be me.

Currently I live in a large family house outside Edinburgh and next weekend move to a flat (apartment), right in the middle of the city. The process has been painful. Everything we do so often feels like cutting a cord to the past, but this feels like pulling up the anchor and leaving port. There have been so many decisions to make about stupid things like wedding gifts, plants and sex toys but many are made now and the packing has begun.

My kids did a wonderful thing and have had a painting done of this home to put up in the new one, uncharacteristically thoughtful.

If anyone is ever visiting the city I have a spare room. I know you all get how hard this has been.

Thinking of you.  It's such a hard thing.  I remember the day I had to move out of our apartment - it was only 5 months out and I was a mess.  I kissed the doorway into our bedroom.  I wrote love notes in the closets to him.  It does feel like leaving them behind in a way, like the winds blowing sand over their footprints at the beach.  Your kids are awesome.  I hope you find a peaceful and/or exciting new start for you in your new urban life!  Good luck with the move. 

Edited to add: Though it was painful, the move was very, very good for me, as Trying says.  I hope it will be the same for you. 

Helen I wish you happiness in your new home.  I know how difficult it is to leave the home and many of the belongings you shared with your DH behind.  For me, as hard as it was, the new home has helped me to make other positive changes in my life.  I promise you that all of the memories will stay with you no matter where you go but I feel like the anchor had been pulling me under and now I can breath and am more in touch with the memories.

Best of luck.

Wishing you much happiness in your new home.  It is bittersweet.  One year ago I sold our home and it was the right thing to do financially and realistically.  My very perceptive Mom with no discussion came over our last night there and asked the boys to go for a treat with her.  That one hour alone allowed me to process and prepare myself mentally and emotionally to say my goodbyes and shed my tears. 

The memories will go with you.  Change is the one constant we all deal with.  My move has been a positive change and I hope the same for you.  I love what your adult children gave you.  Life goes on and it is good.