Impulsive Home improvements

Guest April

My second husband and I were also renovating our house.  We had just completed an extensive landscaping project that turned our weed pit of a back yard into a huge patio with walls and paths, completely xeriscaped and low-maintenance.  He died unexpectedly 2 months later.  We sat out on our new furniture a total of 10 minutes, as it was December when the furniture arrived and we had been out of state traveling.

I have some regrets that I sank so much money into this house/yard that I will never get back upon selling it.  It was our little forever home...except we didn't even get 3 years of being married. 

My advice to you, Adventureland (although you haven't asked for it!) is to think hard about what you want before making investments.

Hugs,

Maureen

Haha...I am the crazy widow on the circle everyone is probably talking about.

Less than two years after D died I did an addition to the entire side of my house...another 500 sq feet. Yep, it cost a lot of money, but it was something D and I talked about, but he hedged and hedged and hedged. So I did it. I just did it.

I sometimes think I did it  mostly because I needed a distraction and something to focus on other than grief. I needed to know I COULD do it on my own. It was not too bad, some challenges along the way, but the contractors were great really, and we had fun and laughs. I looked forward to them showing up bright and early every morning. It was a relief  when it was done, but I actually sorta missed the hub bub.

And best of all,  have a master ensuite to swoon in now.