Gord Downie

Blue14

My husband's favourite band of all time was the Tragically Hip. He was at Queen's University when they were starting out. They became one of my favourites too (second only to Pearl Jam); the soundtrack of so many (mis)adventures. The band announced yesterday that their lead singer, Gord Downie, has been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I got the news alert from the CBC first thing yesterday morning and sobbed for half an hour. I am just gutted. I feel so terrible for his family and friends and this journey in front of them. And I feel like another piece of Bob is being ripped away. I wanted to share with people I knew would understand.

Guest TooSoon

Oh honey, I thought of you when I saw it.  Fucking GBM.  Same thing Scott had.  My first thought was "Fuck GBM." and my second thought was "Scott would resoundingly approve of the band going on tour this summer." As you well know, Scott believed that if you've got to go, go out in style.  I love it that his band mates are rallying behind him and are willing to go on what stands to be a crazy, life-altering journey with this tour.  Just like all of our friends did with us.  And what an incredible act of bravery on his part!  Speaks volumes.  If they get anywhere near us on this tour, we're going!  Sending you so much love.  And when the time comes, maybe Gord will sing at the hypothetical microbrewery in the sky where our sweet loves must be camped out together with pints and the hockey game on (Scott didn't know a thing about hockey but he was so damned easy going, he'd get on board) and ranting about WTF is going on with the election.  xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

I'm so sorry for him and his loved ones. I also feel triggered by the loss of living connections to my husband. It is amazing how personal it can feel. You described it well with feeling like another piece gone. I'm always hoping that my T will somehow now be able to connect with their spirits now in ways he never got a chance to here on Earth.

Sending you hugs...

Another Canadian that felt such loss with the announcements -- it is hard for me to read about some cancers, GBM is one of them - and feel any sense of hope.  Knowing what we know and all that, I hope he gets the ending he wants and his family and loved ones get the support and comfort they are going to need...

John died of pancreatic cancer - when I hear of someone (famous or regular people - we also know cancer doesn't discriminate) with pancreatic cancer, I know the outcome and it is hard to look hopeful people in the eye and stay positive.

Blow at High Dough - some of the lyrics seem pretty appropriate:

GBM took a couple of people from our world before Michelle got sick, so I didn't really need another reason to hate it.  Gord is a treasure, and I say this having almost missed the band, being outside Canada and all.  I really hope we can figure out how to slay this beast some day soon - the addled polio virus that gets the immune system going sounds promising.

Take care,

Rob T

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! It's so good to know that people get it. And, TS, fucking GMB is right. I thought of you immediately during the press conference.

I did manage to get two tickets through the fan club pre-sale to one of their shows in Toronto by constantly refreshing the page on two laptops. I'm going with Bob's sister. This seems fitting.

Guest TooSoon

Thanks, everyone, for the kind words! It's so good to know that people get it. And, TS, fucking GMB is right. I thought of you immediately during the press conference.

I did manage to get two tickets through the fan club pre-sale to one of their shows in Toronto by constantly refreshing the page on two laptops. I'm going with Bob's sister. This seems fitting.

I'm so glad you're going to get to go!  The more I've thought about his choosing to go on tour, the more it moves me.  As you well know, when you're faced with a diagnosis like that, you have to make a choice about what you're going to do with the time you have left.  Going on tour, surrounded by lifelong friends and collaborators and adoring fans, doing what he was clearly meant to do - I love it.  And I hope it will give you a measure of peace, too.  xoxo

Guest TooSoon

I love it too. He's an amazing person. I feel so lucky to be going. Xox to you too and see you on the 15th!

:)  See you on the 15th.  Long overdue.  xo