Two Days Until My Wedding and Saying Goodbye

lcoxwell

Well, after two years of dating, and 5-1/2 months of being engaged, New Guy and I are getting married in two days. I feel so blessed to have his love; and I am so thankful that I was able to open my heart and to allow myself to love once more, after losing my Kenneth. It was through all the sacrifices of extreme caregiving and the many lessons that Kenneth taught me that allowed me to love New Guy so completely and so fully. As I prepare to step into a new marriage, I know I will be a far better wife than I ever was before, and I cannot wait to share my life with my New Guy.

The closer my wedding day becomes, I am also finding small ways to say goodbye to being Kenneth's wife. After he died, I continued to be called "Mrs." by my students. I continued to identify myself as Kenneth's wife. In two days, that changes. It has been an honor to be his, and it will be an honor to be the wife to New Guy. It just seems sad that I have to stop being one to be the other, and I know that this is the only place I can say that, where people will understand.

Wow, Icoxwell.....You HAVE been busy!  I'm very excited for you and your new husband-to-be.  You are truly blessed! 

In some ways, parts of my life mirrors yours.  After years of loving and taking care of my late husband through his devastating illness, I remarried almost two years ago. Just before we married, I remember almost feeling like I had to give up my old self or life for my new, but was happily surprised that I carried it with me.  Since my dear current husband was a widower, he and I also understand and respect that we both had great loves before we met and appreciate that about one another.  It doesn't take away any deep feelings we have for each other.  While our marriage is our priority and we share a wonderful life together, there is also mutual support when dealing with our past losses.  Today was the ninth anniversary of my late husband's passing, and even after all this time has passed, I will always hold him very close to my heart.  I found the heart can be resilient and bursting with all kinds of love.  Although you will go from being Kenneth's wife to your special New Guy's wife, I'm sure you will be overjoyed and heart will continue to be full.

marnie-burkhart-wedding-bouquet-and-champagne-glasses.jpg

Wishing you and your new husband many incredible adventures and a joyous life filled with love and blessings!

Congratulations and best wishes as you begin your new life together!  I love what cathyr said, you have definitely demonstrated that your heart is more than big enough to hold your past and your present loves.

(((lcoxwell)))

I am so happy for you and will be thinking of you during the countdown! -

Sent you a PM.

877.jpg

"Happiness is as a butterfly which,

When pursued, is always beyond our grasp;

But which, if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."

~~ Nathaniel Hawthorne

I am glad that after patiently waiting the "Butterfly of Happiness" has descended upon you!

ATJ

:)

Congratulations on your marriage. I did not feel like I was saying goodbye to my first husband when I married my second husband. I had already essentially said goodbye to the life I had had before, but my husband was still a part of my heart.

You will feel as you feel, though. I hope that you can accept all the goodness that you have found and embrace it fully!

Hugs,

Maureen

lcoxwell,

When Bluebird and I were married three years ago, I concluded my preface to our marriage vows with:

"Let us cherish fond memories from our individual pasts, as we create new and beautiful ones together from this day forward."

I wish you both great happiness in your new life together.

--- WifeLess

• 4 weeks later...