Consignment Shops

mmg19

Anyone else have luck with consignment shops.  Boys outgrown summer clothes all sold and made enough for them to buy their summer needs.  Of course, in summer they get by with shorts, t-shirts, and swimming trunks so we splurged and bought new underwear.  Happy campers at our house.

Guest TooSoon

We buy almost everything at the thrift store, not because we have to but because it makes sense.  I draw the line at underwear but we're a second hand family here. 

I like consignment shops for household items but rarely use for clothes - mainly because I don't have the patience or time to shift through everything to find what I need for myself or my son. I do much more donating - but consignment shops are indeed great for certain items ! I wish the one near me was better - the ones in the city tend to have better quality stuff.

MMG - are you looking to sell the boys' clothes at a consignment shop or just shop at one? I've done both, but dependent on what you're trying to sell, it can be a slow go. As far as shopping, I'm a thrift store shopper all the way. I can't even remember when I shopped at a regular store. An LL Bean raincoat for $3? Converse hightops for $3?? Yeah, baby! I volunteer at one (supporting a domestic violence shelter & crisis hot line), one day a week and it's unbelievable seeing the quality of stuff that comes in. Can you tell I'm excited, lol?

For my boys-I have been extremely lucky to have a old friend in Florida who sends us 2 shipments of hand me downs from her son. This year my oldest is too tall to wear any but my younger son does. She has done this ever since I became widowed and has saved me thousands over the years. Our regular consignment shops here mostly cater to little girls...and the boys sizes are always too small.

But we do have a sporting good consignment store...you can sell/receive store credit/etc. I sell the kids sports shops and then buy what they need from my in store credit.

Also I check out the really nice neighborhood yard sales selling kids clothes. Nicer neighborhood better than merchandise I have found.

My daughter -sometimes we find cool consignment deals. Did get her Easter dress, sweater and shoes at a consignment when I was out of town for work.

Really the only new mall/store clothes they get are from grandparents.

Love thrift stores. I really don't buy much at them between hand me downs there's not much we need. I tried buying clothes on ocassion. My girls do well me, not so much. I'm tall so shorts and shirts are fine pants I just order online now days.  I do however donate a lot. In my new neighborhood there is one less then a 1/4 mile away. Haven't been yet but soon.

DD and I love thrifting! But, as with many things, it's all about location. In our small hometown, there was usually not much to choose from but we have had fantastic luck here in the Phoenix metro area. There are soooo many thrift stores with much to choose from.

I never buy underwear, and not shoes unless they are gently worn. We have found books, shirts, sweatshirts/fleeces, old film cameras (I collect/buy/sell them), and vinyl albums. It's as much about the hunt as it is buying the actual items. :-)