"yeah but he's dead"

Sugarbell

My kids are starting a new school district...my daughter is going after school to a lady's home after school daycare for about an hour until I get off work to get her. Great lady..several school teachers kids go to her..my friends highly recommend her.

So we go out to meet her..tour the home:..she's going over paperwork.my sons were with us (they are Going to a middle school close to our house-they can walk home..daughter going outta district elementary so she needs a place until I can get there). The lady was talking to my boys about how tall they were, sports,,, blah blah..then she says "Your Mom is tall..how tall is your Dad?"

My oldest...very socially self conscious says "He's 6'5"..and leaves it.

Then my daughter blurts out "Yeah but he won't ever be picking me up..cause you know he's dead"

Awe man.middle son rolls his eyes at her...oldest hits her arm and says "S really??"

And my 9 year old says "Well he is.." While twirling around.

The lady was embarrassed and uncomfortable but bless her heart..stayed on task.

New school...something tells me this is going to come up again. (At almost 9 years)

I'd say your kids (all 3) handled it well.  If your boys were embarrassed at their sister's remark, I'd say they are well adjusted and have learned socially polite ways to answer or comment that their father is dead.  Sounds healthy to me. 

Well-handled by your kids - we also just try to roll right through those comments.  Would have come up at some point, now it's out of the way?  Hope it doesn't make life too uncomfortable at the new school--good luck with it, so glad you are out of Stepford!