How to find Widower Support Groups near me

I live in Southeast Missouri. Does anybody have good resources to find widow support groups? The closest place I found was Kansas City MO, but that's a 6 hour drive for me and I don't really want to drive that far. I'm assuming these last an hour or two. Am I right in my assumption?

I am a little over two years out, and lived in a small town in SE Kentucky when my wife died.

I kept coming up empty when I tried to find any local support groups, other than for widows/widowers much older - or general grief support groups. Quite honestly, the best support I found was through this site and its now-closed predecessor.

I reached out early to those widows & widowers that I felt are like-minded, and made many wonderful friendships here. Some folks I have only spoken with through messages here or calls and texts, but many others I have met in person.

I really do feel that these friendships helped me more than other support group would. I've spent many late nights on the phone or messaging with them, and the advantage of speaking one-on-one is that you get a real sincerity that a group setting might not allow.

Not knocking groups - I just think that this path worked best for me.

The advantage of a forum like this is that you can remain as anonymous as you would like until, perhaps, you feel more comfortable making yourself known to someone.  I've been a part of this forum and its predecessor for almost 7 years now.  My advice to people who are a little nervous about putting information out in public is to use the private message feature to respond to someone with whom you resonate.  Start a dialogue, perhaps with another widower, someone in your own time frame, or someone months to even years ahead of you who you feel might be able to listen to what you have to say.

Sometimes, the best people to "talk" to are those who are right where you are now...feeling every bit as sad and overwhelmed and lost as you are.  You feel very alone, but you are not the only one. 

I'm so sorry you had to join our club, but I assure you, these members are pretty amazing.

Hugs,

Maureen

Have you looked on MeetUp.com? About 6 months ago, I started a group on there for younger widows and widowers in my area (sorry, I am in PA). I have had almost 30 sign up, but few people ever come to the get-togethers. I've tried different days of the week/times/locations, etc. but still not much attendance. I think with younger widows and widowers, many of them are still working and raising kids. It makes it harder for them to make meetings. Using a forum like this to communicate can be done any time of the day or night which is a benefit.

The people who have been my strongest lifelines in making it this far through my grief journey have all been people I connected with thru this message board and its predecessor. I am so grateful for each of them. Having the support of people that understand how excruciatingly painful and absurd widowhood can be is really valuable, because those who haven't experienced it cannot imagine how deeply the loss affects you in so many ways. I'm sorry you have had a reason to join us, but hope you will find some comfort here.

I found one thru meet-up- another by calling around to local churches-(I don't go to church- but do believe in God) (actually one church did not have a grief group- but the pastor knew a recent widow and asked if I wanted to leave my number for her to call me- she did and was a lifeline the first few months- by just having someone to go out and get a coffee with and talk.

I found another group thru a hospital- hospice- (again I did not have anything to do with the hospital or hospice but they had a grief group- which was very helpful- even was able to connect with a grief counselor for free.

Another good way maybe to call around to funeral homes?

Some may be general "grief" groups- but there most likely be widows there- and hopefully you will find other's you can connect with.

Wishing you peace...