Patton Oswalt’s Heartfelt Salute To His Late Wife

MauiMermaid

Thank you for posting, MM.  He is/was a favorite of Tim ans I and I very selfishly hoped that this was the kind of thing he would express publicly as a new widower - just because he is so much smarter and more articulate than I am.  And when I watched it last night it was with tears streaming down my face. 

Yes, it is hard to classify experiences now as being happy times, because I've known such deeply happy times in my past with T. I am appreciative of good things that happen and the ability to laugh again, yet it is hard not to notice that it all pales in comparison to my life before T died. I'm getting better at not deliberately comparing, but there is a lack of color and dimension that I recognize has yet to return to my life. I appreciate his publically trying to explain it to others.

• 4 weeks later...

I just wanted to update this with another post from HuffPo about Oswalt and his struggles with grief:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/patton-oswalt-says-hell-never-fully-recover-from-his-wifes-death_us_5810d5e3e4b001e247df9c39

A couple things that struck me: 

when talking about going back to perform comedy for the first time since his wife died "Going onstage, he said, was “a rebuke to grief, an acceptance of the messiness of life. I’ll never be at 100 percent again, but that won’t stop me from living this.”  I know there are some on these boards who will disagree, but this is how I felt immediately after he died and how I still feel today 3.5 years later.  This isn't something you ever bounce ALL THE WAY back from.  You never fully climb out of that hole.  But as long as you put your head down and eventually keep trying to plow through and rebuild something resembling a life again that's nothing to be ashamed of.

When talking about what your mind does to try to comprehend the incomprehensible and knowing how little sense it makes to everyone else "What if, as my last brain cell died, I imagined a whole other life, that my brain cannot deal with the horror of my body dying, so it’s made up the next worst thing, which is this person who I wanted to spend the rest of my life with has been yanked away from me?” he said, his voice getting ragged, spinning this scenario out, proposing that the interview he was doing at the moment was an invention of his own mind. After comparing his life to a scene from the movie “Jacob’s Ladder,” he stopped: “Sorry, I sound crazy.”

On how he is coping "Though he tried drinking away the pain for a few months, the comedian said that “alcohol doesn’t really help.” Instead, he’s returned to standup to deal with his loss. He tells the Times that talking about grief makes up at least half of his set."  I am so grateful to him that he is doing this...