Songs that inspire

Guest TooSoon

Guest TooSoon

Music saved me when I was early in this journey, both through the illness and after Scott's death.  This is a little song I turned to in hours of a need to remember our story was not yet written.

Great idea for a thread, TS!  Thanks for starting it, and good to see you here :)

Here's one I found about a year ago, from the solo project of one of the members of fun. called Bleachers.  It's written (I'm assuming) about his sister, who died of cancer when she was a young teenager.  So even though it's grief in a different context, it still felt very genuine to me:

And here's one from the same James album as "Moving On."  It's the closing track, and when I first heard it a few months ago it just stopped me in my tracks.  I was home by myself, just making dinner and giving the full album an inaugural listen.  When I heard this song start though...I couldn't even split my attention.  I just needed to stand still and listen.  It might not seem "inspirational," but I don't know.  It's devastating, but the last lines are still "I'm missing you and all the worlds you opened up to view, I love you, See you next time."  I guess I find it comforting and inspiring because a silly part of my brain still feels like I can connect to him through music.  I still feel a bit of his hand when I find new things that seem to speak to me so perfectly.  It feels earnest and honest and painful and hopeful all at once.

I love that Zombies song, TS!  I posted it on our thread on the old board as one of my "chapter 2" songs.  When I made a mix CD for the first vacation New Guy and took together, I actually started it with that track :)

Guest TooSoon

Im having a little trouble with the icons but here's another one of my go to's.....I would give anything to hear him live!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to be more resistant to change, then my world blew apart when my wife died. Change is still scary for me, but I am learning to embrace it whole-heartedly as it is one of the only things that helps with the healing.

Les Jupes - "Everything Will Change"

Life threw T and I some pretty wicked curve balls, but we always pulled together and kept pushing forward. Sometimes when things were really tough, T would play this song and we'd sing it loudly together. I listen to it at times when I feel like giving up and remember that he never did. No surrender, baby!!

(I chose a video version of it that I think TooSoon will appreciate!) ;)

Guest TooSoon

SVS,  I got to see him last summer at the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival.  I almost didn't go because of the crowds but it was AMAZING; the biggest sing along I have ever seen!  And Eddie Vedder.....yummy!  I'll pop back in with a contribution one of these days - somehow all my go-to songs seem sad lately, not because I am but just because.

TS. I am envious that you got to see Bruce recently. I would love to see him again. We saw him years ago on the Born in the USA tour. I know exactly what you mean about the sing-along. For the last hour of the concert, they had all the lights on. Everyone in the audience was standing and singing along. I danced with an older gentleman in the aisle, while T looked on laughing. It was an awesome night.

Thanks for helping me bring back that good memory to savor for a while.

Guest TooSoon

SVS, I think we should make a pact to take the children to see him next time he's in the area.  What do you think?

Guest TooSoon

Hearing these peeps live for the first time in Liverpool in a few weeks.  They're my go to nerds. 

And SVS, it is a pact!  Maybe we can even catch him at the Stone Pony! xo

TS, you'll enjoy the hell out of them :)  I've seen them a few times, and they put on a fantastic show.  Stuart Murdoch is probably one of the most charming and charismatic performers I've seen - such a gifted frontman!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest TooSoon

Last week I saw Iron and Wine and Ben Bridwell in Philly and this song made my heart ache and sing in equal measure:

TS - thank you for posting that link.  I do love that song - and you're right, it is a really affecting mix of melancholy and hopeful that both comforts and tears your heart out in equal measure.  The part that really gets me is this, as I often find myself imagining my Tim talking to me through music and lyrics:

Guess that this must be the place

I can't tell one from another

Did I find you, or you find me?

There was a time Before we were born

If someone asks, this where I'll be, where I'll be

I'm just an animal looking for a home

Share the same space for a minute or two

And you love me till my heart stops

Love me till I'm dead

The first time I heard it after Tim died, I said to him - "I'll do even better than that.  I'll love you till MY heart stops.  And well beyond that, if any piece of me still exists after I'm dead too."

And while the original is great (as is that Iron and Wine cover - thanks again for sharing), I'm particular to this cover that Kishi Bashi did with a string quartet.  The first time I heard it on Spotify radio it literally stopped me in my tracks - I felt the need to focus all my attention on it and immediately listen again. 

Guest TooSoon

It is a doozy isn't it?  But I love it so.  Andy and I were reminiscing about this thread over the weekend while he was here.  We saw Angel Olsen, Iron and Wine and Ben Bridwell and in two weeks we'll be at the Green Man festival in Wales (Father John Misty!!!!).  I was thinking recently about how music really did (really really did) save me in those dark, dark days. 

Here's a clip from the show in Philly.  I love the first song.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TooSoon

Latest anthem:

Cannot get enough of this song (and album) on my commutes these days but this one in particular.  Live is much better.

• 2 weeks later...