SS Benefits age 16?? Multiple kids

Sugarbell

Question..when my oldest hits 16, I know his check gets cut some. Does he portion that's cut get re distributed to younger two kids?

And..when oldest graduates high school...When he loses his check..does it get redistributed two ways amongst the younger two?

So basically..I am asking if I will continue to receive the same amount I am now until my youngest (whose 9) graduates from high school. Anyone know??

The amount of SS that came for my two boys was not affected when they turned 16. When my first one left high school his benefit was discontinued and the benefit for my one remaining in HS was not affected.  I don't fully understand SS benefits but it is probably different for everyone.

Your best bet is to get an appointment at the local SS office and see what they have to say. If you call them you'll just be wasting your time.

Good luck - Mike

Nothing happens to your kids' SS benefits when they hit 16.  The only magic thing about 16 is that when all kids are over 16, if you were getting benefits as a caregiver, they would stop because the kids would be able to take care of themselves.  The other transition is that kids' benefits stop at 18 or when they are out of school, whichever is later.  And whenever a benefit stops, money may be redistributed to the other, but that is subject to a family maximum.

Take care,

Rob T

Nothing changes at 16 for the kids.  When oldest is 18, his is discontinued.  Younger kids continue receiving the amount they were receiving.  Do not count on the younger ones getting an increase.  MAYBE depending on several factors which is per case.  When I checked I was told no increase but that was 4 years ago.  Seems to be discrepancies in the information given.  Don't count on it.  Two younger ones will still receive same amount  they were getting until 18.

If you are the surviving spouse and do not work or work part time, you ( surviving spouse) can receive benefits for your child until he/she is 16. This is separate from your child's SSI benefit.  I have one only.  Not sure of the multiple children question.  I work two days a week and have had benefits cut and had to pay back because I made too much.  It is a balance all the time.  I have to send in reports for my estimates per year.  I have a private business.  At 18 or when your child graduates high school, his/her SSI benefits end. Not sure of the redistribution to other kids who are not of age, yet.

But meet with a SS worker to explain.  I remember him telling me that when I signed up my child for benefits.  Never expected to need or use it, though.

Nothing happens to benefits untill they turn 18. Then they are going to start to send it to your child. Then when the youngest turns 16 you lose the caregivers benefit if you get it. When a child ages out they redistribute the money to the remaining people. At the end of this school year I will only have 2 payees. Not sure if that will reduce the benefit total as I've been told you need 3 to get the family max.

I asked many specific questions when I went to the SS office. I was told that you get SS benefits until the child GRADUATES high school. If your child turns 18 before they graduate, you have to fill out additional paperwork including some documents from the high school showing they are still registered and their scheduled date of graduation. You would still get the same amount on your younger children until they too graduate from high school. In my case since I do work, I got a tiny amount allotted to me only. Most of the monies my husband contributed to SS are for the kids. Right now each of my kids are receiving the same amount of benefit. So I know in 1 1/2 years, we will lose my eldest's contribution when she graduates so I need to budget with half the contribution. Any remainder not used by them will be held until I retire and I believe if I remain unmarried.

Nothing happens to benefits untill they turn 18. Then they are going to start to send it to your child. Then when the youngest turns 16 you lose the caregivers benefit if you get it. When a child ages out they redistribute the money to the remaining people. At the end of this school year I will only have 2 payees. Not sure if that will reduce the benefit total as I've been told you need 3 to get the family max.

This is the confusing part....Each of my 3 kids get equal amount. So I don't know if oldest sons will be redistributed to younger two (meaning younger two receives larger checks once he graduates)

One kid has December birthday, another September...so both will turn 18 before graduate...And I am assuming the checks keep coming until they graduate. My daughter is June birthday...and she will be 18 when she starts her Senior year (I held her back a year before starting kindergarten)--So she will be almost 19 when she graduates.

SB  Each situation is different depending on family maximum contributions.  Do not take my observation as what is your case.  But here is my take.

1.  Each child will get benefit until 18 or HS graduation.

2.  When first child graduates and benefits stop, younger 2 will receive the same amount as each previously received. 

3.  You will not get the amount received for 3 children after older 2 have reached 18.

This was how I interpreted your question.  I would talk in person with SS since that would give you the answer to your individual situation.  The factoring and variables are quite complex if you go to their web site and it is confusing.  If you are preparing budget, I would go on the low side.  Better prepared than to have a drastic loss of income and be in a situation unprepared.  Even if there is a distribution of benefits it does not necessarily mean you will get the amount than you had when there were 3 receiving.

Make a list of all your questions and get answers from someone at SS in person.  Good Luck.

My daughter turned 18 in October of her senior year.  From October to until graduation in June, the payments went directly into her account.  My son's payment stayed the same.  He is a senior now and his birthday is in November.  His payments from November until graduation in June will go directly into his account. 

My son turned 16 last week, my SS benefits as his caregiver stopped the month before he turned 16.  I did call SS and nope, he gets no increase in his since mine stopped.  There's no cost of living increases either this year.

It still boggles my mind why the caregiver benefits stop when a child is 16, I'm still buying his clothes, food, household expenses and paying a mortgage on our home that he still lives in.

Yea, government rules....

And to top it off...my premium on medical insurance just tripled each month thanks to the wonderful "Affordable Health Care Act."

When my oldest aged out the younger 2 increased so I was getting the max. The end of this school year I will just have 1 kid and myself for part of the year. Not sure what will happen but I expect hers will increase  to make up part of the difference.

So in my case they adjusted everyone's.

• 2 weeks later...

SS does not get cut at 16.

When my boy graduated high school and no longer got ss, mine and my younger girl increased slightly. Same thing when she turned 16 and mine stopped. The older girl was already twenty when mom passed and never collected.

I recently turned 60 and am considering collecting again rather then waiting until age 62.

Guest oneoftwo

This type of thread can get very confusing. It all is so specific to each situation.

I really think Admin should just tag a Social Security thread saying:

As soon as you can, get an appointment with your local social security office (or if outside the US what other government agency applies). Bring someone if you need to, to write things down and ask questions.

Survivor benefits, spousal, retirement- it all varies by circumstance and I think it is misleading to think we can offer each other real advice.

Recommendation- make an appointment and find out what will apply to your individual situation, so you can plan for it if/when it changes based on any kids age, your income changing, remarriage, etc

This type of thread can get very confusing. It all is so specific to each situation.

I really think Admin should just tag a Social Security thread saying:

As soon as you can, get an appointment with your local social security office (or if outside the US what other government agency applies). Bring someone if you need to, to write things down and ask questions.

Survivor benefits, spousal, retirement- it all varies by circumstance and I think it is misleading to think we can offer each other real advice.

Recommendation- make an appointment and find out what will apply to your individual situation, so you can plan for it if/when it changes based on any kids age, your income changing, remarriage, etc

You make a wonderful point, oneoftwo. No one here should take anecdotal or emotional advice regarding Social Security here or anywhere else. Just because you think something *should* be is not the way something *will* be as per the rules, your personal information, et.al. Make an appointment! Get the facts! Work with the results!

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't read all the replies but when your oldest graduates high school or turns 18, whichever comes later, his will stop and the other two will increase.  There is a family maximum.  This is from the SS website about how it is calculated.

Within a family, a child can receive up to

half of the parent’s full retirement or disability

benefit. If a child receives survivors benefits,

they can get up to 75 percent of the deceased

parent’s basic Social Security benefit. There is

a limit, however, to the amount of money that

we can pay to a family. The family maximum

payment is determined as part of every Social

Security benefit computation. It can be from

150 to 180 percent of the parent’s full benefit

amount. If the total amount payable to all

family members exceeds this limit, we reduce