3 years ago...

...we had our last full day together.  The next day, I flew to the east coast to see wid friends.  I had no idea he would die in his sleep just a few days later - alone.

In many ways, I am doing better.  Much better, in fact - but I am already feeling the punch to the gut as these last days before the anniversary of his death and then his birthday approaching 5 days later. 

He has been dead longer than we were actually married, yet the impact he had on my life was colossal. 

The next year will bring more changes - transitions that will come because of the influence he had on my life and the opportunities I was afforded because of our connection.  But these transitions should have occurred right here with him.

I was in a completely different life - one I barely recognize now - almost 7 years ago when he and I started a conversation that led to a beautiful and intense love affair.  We knew from prior loss that we had to live life to the fullest - and we did.  Nothing was ever left undone or unsaid, and for that I am left without regrets.

So...3 years ago today, we made sure we spent as much of the day together as we could, reviewed our life together, made love, fell asleep in each others arms, and I woke the next day and flew east.  My last contact with him was a Facetime conversation just hours before he went to sleep for the last time.  My last day with him was January 7th.  My last kiss was January 8th.  The last time I saw his smile was January 10th. 

Savor everything.

Thanks for letting me spill my heart.

Maureen

Maureen,

Along with many other YWBB friends, Bluebird and I were in disbelief that January three years ago when we heard the shocking news. Since all of us had already experienced our loss, there was the prevailing belief that this could not happen so soon after. How wrong we were. And how cruel life has been to you. So unfair.

--- WifeLess

• 5 weeks later...