Saying Goodbye - Last Words

Mac

My final conversation with John was over Facetime, as we were 1600 miles apart.  We reviewed our day.  I asked him to pull his hair out of his pony tail because I wanted to imagine running my fingers through his hair.  He obliged me.  We talked about having to sleep alone again, but that I would be home in 5 days. We made plans to talk in the morning, exchanged kisses and I love you's, and said goodnight.  He died a couple of hours later in his sleep.  I still replay that conversation in my head.

Maureen

• 2 years later...

I think this is a great topic so I want to add my story.

I do not remember the last words. Actually the last thing he said was in polish and I do not speak it so I did not understand. I will always wonder what it was that he said. That night he had a bit to drink and he was always very mooshy when inebriated. He said so many wonderful things to me, how he couldn't wait for me to get home from work everyday, how much he loved me, and things like that. The thing he said that I remember most often these days is this "I will never leave you". He had never said that to me before. At first those words haunted me, but now I find a lot of comfort in them.

• 3 weeks later...

Lori had been having trouble sleeping and had asked me to get her a couple Unisom. when I handed them to her, she looked at me and said, "Thank you for being so good to me". Those were the last coherent words she spoke to me. I will re-live that moment every day for the rest of my life.

• 1 month later...

I have not told my family yet his last words he said to me.  It saddens me to think about it. 

I was about to leave from a store to go home which was 8 miles away.  I knew he was preparing supper at the time and would appreciate knowing when I arrive.  He was making soup and watching a football game.  I heard him say on the phone in a distant sleeplike voice, "ok".  When I arrived home he was on the floor in the kitchen unconscious and holding the t.v. controller.  The stew on the stove was just simmering at a medium temperature.  The rest happened so quickly.  Ambulance took him away and he died at the hospital.