Are you doing anything in their memory?

My husband was a coffee addict. We plannex on opening a cafe one day. One of the last things he wrote on my kitchen chalkboard was the new name for our cafe. He used to get coffee regularly from this one place and they were so devastated when he passed away they donated a whole bunch of coffee to the funeral so that it wouldn't have to smell like anything but his favorite coffee. I've actually got them to agree to name their next coffee after him. I know he'd be proud. It doesn't bring him back but it brings me joy that he'll be remembered this way.

Are you doing anything in your sweethearts honor?

I didn't have to because something was done already in his honor. My husband's company loved him and his death was a terrible blow to them and their organization. They created an award in his honor where employees need to nominate someone who exhibits the traits they loved and respected of him. They paid for the creation of a unique light saber design that I chose and the winner will get one of these light sabers every year. As you could guess, he was a big Star Wars fan. 

For my first husband, we had donations go to 3 agencies that were important to him, including a playground accessible to all children and adults.  We had been involved in the design of this playground over 20 years ago.  It has since fallen into disrepair and there is a fundraising campaign to rebuild the playground from more durable materials.  I may dedicate a piece of equipment there to my husband.  He never had an accessible playground when he was young, and he always had to use a wheelchair.

My second husband was a university professor and researcher.  I have a scholarship in his name.  There is a new faculty award at the university for undergraduate research mentoring that is named for him.  There is a day celebrating research at the university as well.  My husband started this day 13 or 14 years ago to encourage faculty and students to showcase their work.  Just following his death, the university named this day for him...so is is now called the John H*******s Scholarly and Creative Activities Day.  His name is plastered all over campus.  That was initially very jarring, but I am getting more accustomed to it.  I have funded the awards for the poster competition for this celebration of research, which was very dear to his heart.

It is important to me that my husbands are remembered.

Maureen

My husband was an avid photographer in his spare time. Right before he got sick he started a blog of his work, with the idea of eventually selling his photographs. In his honor, I am going to mount a photo exhibit of his work. I've gotten the gallery space donated and am now going through the process of selecting photos to enlarge. He had already gone through a chunk of them and done the color corrections; I just need to find a theme for this show.

I'm so excited to do this for him.

• 4 weeks later...

I have done a few things.

- The local Music Festival now has a beautiful trophy to present to the kids in the age group that he most enjoyed speaking with from my vocal studio

- The local Vocal Festival has a Memorial Scholarship for their competitions

- The local Air Cadet Squadron has a Memorial Bursary for a deserving Grade 12 student

- My vocal studio has a Memorial Scholarship that students can apply for.

I also, this first year, purchased a bunch of season tickets for the National Arts Centre and have been taking kids from my studio for dinner and a show on a rotating basis.

I figure this was all a good way to honour the good person he was!

My fiancé and I planned on opening a bakery together one day, so now his family and I hope to still do it together as a way to make his dream a reality. I'm also hoping to find a cause that I can get involved with, but it's still very soon so I haven't made any decisions yet.

• 2 months later...

His coffee is out! I ran up to it like a kid getting the latest hottest toy at the store. It was such a confusing moment. I was so happy and giddy while also insanely anxious and sad. Thought I was gonna unravel into a pile standing there holding it in the middle of the shop.

But it's beautiful and I know he'd be proud of it and honored I got a coffee named after him.