I did it...

Wheelerswife

I completed my Master's degree.  Yesterday I had my final presentation for the final project of my program, which we call the Culminating Learning Demonstration.  I had to compile evidence from my coursework, graduate assistant positions, and practicums to prove that I have addressed and met the 10 competencies of my program and profession.  So...250 pages and a 45 minute presentation later, I am finished!

This has been in the works since my second husband died...and it really only happened because I met and fell in love with him, moved to start a life with him, left my old 26 year career and started dabbling back in school.  He was a university professor, and therefore, I had access to the university community and its programs.  When I started back, I had no idea what I wanted to study or what kind of career I wanted.  I went to school part time initially and eventually decided to pursue a Bachelor's in Organizational Leadership.  My husband died when I had two semesters left...6 courses total.  11 days after he died, the semester began and I was sitting in class, knowing that this would be the structure I needed right then.  On day 12, I started having symptoms that led to surgery and a cancer diagnosis.  School continued to be the supportive environment that I needed.  But...knowing I was now alone and would need to be self-supporting,  I didn't know what I wanted to do career-wise. 

I had a lot of time to think, especially since I was alone.  The thoughts that kept coming back to me were about loving the university environment.  Students, learning, challenge, stimulation.  My university had a Master's program in Higher Education Student Affairs.  I had found my new home.  Fortunately, I had the resources to continue school.  I joined a cohort of students, all of whom are young enough to be my own children.  After a slightly rocky start, they embraced me and my perspectives.  I could hold my own.  I was an asset to group projects.  I could write decently.  I was dependable.  I wasn't much of a whiz at technology, but my fellow grad students were patient with my questions. 

I pushed through.  I sometimes had to force myself to focus and get my work done.  It isn't easy to be grieving, coping with anxiety and the scare of cancer, and working on a graduate degree, but I did it!    I owe a debt of gratitude to a lot of people who have listened to me over the last few years.  I have taken two cross-country trips since my second husband died and I've been on both the right and left coasts at other times as well.  I've had the opportunity to meet many wids from YWBB (the precursor to this board) and Widda as well.  So...many of you have had a hand in my sanity (LOL) and getting through this degree.

I'm now in the process of emptying my house of my late husband's (and his late wife's) property and getting repairs made in preparation for selling my house.  The job search has been slow, but I am looking to move back to the northeast where most of my family and long-time friends live.  I hope to find a suitable position at a small to medium size college or university in New England or New York State that is in a smaller college town.  I've had my years of traffic and commuting, and I'd prefer not to get back into that again.  Living in a "city" of 20,000 in western Kansas hasn't been all bad, but I need to get out from under the shadow of my late husband and get closer to my aging parents.

So...I hope to be able to report soon that I know where my next chapter will start.  Change is coming.  I am embracing that change.  I want to be hopeful for a fulfilled life in this fresh start.  I still cry.  I miss my husband, who should be here to see my accomplishments and the new career I found only because of his love and encouragement to explore and learn something new.  We should be here together...in this little house that was to be our base until old age.  But we didn't get that...and so I will move forward, holding him close in my heart, grateful for the short time I had with him and the impact he had on my life.

Thanks for reading,

Maureen

Guest TooSoon

Whoo - hoo!  This made my day!  So proud of you, happy for you!  I know its been hard and complicated but YOU DID IT!  Hope you can hear the clapping and whooping all the way from PA!  xoxoxox

Love and support coming from me and my family here in California! You amaze and inspire, Maureen. Wishing you all the best as you decide which direction to follow in the next chapter. Life gets better, it really does.

Dear Maureen,

Well done, congratulations, you are awsome and an inspiration (we all think that , see above!!). What a great accomplishment. You did it on my son's Birthday!

Good luck with the move, and all it entails. I hope you find a new home and a job that keeps you going and content. May the sun shine on you Maureen, you deserve it !!

hugs