Has anyone seen 'The Shack'?

serpico

I saw this movie over the weekend with my wife and we loved it.  It has a very, um, theological bent, I guess you would say, but the overarching theme is of forgiveness.  I know this movie won't be for everyone but I would like to get the thoughts of those that have seen it...

Guest TooSoon

I haven't seen The Shack but your post reminded me of another, possibly similar, film that is also about forgiveness and hope.  I'm non-religious but I watched this film because I teach the medieval pilgrimage road to Santiago de Compostela (El Camino).  This film isn't my usual fare (and as far as grieving films go, Silver Linings Playbook is my go-to) but since its in the same vein, here's the trailer for anyone who might be interested.  Someday, I'm going to walk the camino myself for my own reasons. 

I haven't seen the movie, but read the book. It was given to me as a coping help during the first months after my husband's death. It's amazing and I recommend it to all who are newly grieving, with the warning that it's not an easy reading. The take away for me wasn't much theological, but I saw it as a great help to come to terms with many "why me" and "not fair" notions that circle very early on. I wonder how the movie compares to the actual book it is based on? I hope it's not a disappointment...

My sister church did a book study several years ago.  I didn't think anything of it. I live in the bible belt, a Southern Baptist church on every corner.  One of FB friends posted the 12 heresies of the story.  I was shocked, read up on the controversy, and my church has a planned movie night Thurs.  Also, I have a female pastor, too, so more liberal than Catholic or Baptist here.  So, will see what it is. 

I can see why, the book conveys very strongly that God has nothing to do with churches or organized religion in a traditional sense of it. It's only expectant that the traditional churches will have a problem there...

But that is a sideline...again, the main message is great- it is about acceptance and forgiveness. After crying through the most of it, at the end it was comforting.

Saw it last week...for me it was ugh...

Overall concept /message was good- but acting was off- just could not get that a woman was playing God.

Any reason you think they chose to do that?

Jesus was Ok- but his scruffy voice bothered me.

The Holy Spirit was good.

I know I am picking the movie apart and commenting on the wrong things...

But I've never questioned why I'm a widow and need to be reassured is my husband in a better place and at peace... or why bad things happen to good people.

To me it's just my life's journey- and my husbands- and he fulfilled his journey and purpose on this plain. I hope I too fulfill my purpose and that one day too receive eternal life.

My church rented out a cinema to see it.  I read up on it prior. Read the the FB posts my very Southern Baptist friend shared, the 12 heresies, the theological wrongness of it.  Etc.

I left after crying through most of it. I got that God is not someone we can put in a box, which seems to be why so many are upset about the 3 portrayals of the trinity.  I got healing from deep pain,  and forgiveness as main premises and very difficult to work through but necessary to live and love on.

I got that being the judge ourselves as humans is something many of us church folks do and really you don't want that job.  It is too big, too hard, and, like the analogy in the movie, what child of yours would you send to heaven and what child would you send to hell?  What a choice!  Neither, and as a parent, we would take the punishment.  Take me instead.  So, loving is more important than judging and you really don't want to be the judge.

My 2 cents which won't get you a cup coffee now.  ;)