Wild

Guest TooSoon

Yes, I read the book and saw the movie.  But, the funny story is that I had invited my daughter to join me but she brought all of her in-laws too (it was around the holdays), including Grammie who is 87 years old.  I thought the movie was true to the book but it definitely has some rather naughty and "raw"  moments in it..Grammie was not amused  :)  From the perspective, though, of someone boldly taking this type of strenuous journey, working through lots of personal struggles, gaining strength in the process and finding peace, I loved it!

Guest tableforone

I didn't see the movie but I read the book. I loved the book. Woman alone on a quest to conquer her demons. I read it in an afternoon. I didn't want to see the movie because I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the book. So few movies seem to. Had you read it before see the movie?

Guest TooSoon

I haven't read the book but I'm sure it was better than the movie.  Of course the premise and the bumbling, fumbling through the walk resonates.  Grief is like that long, lonely, painful journey, though; full of unforeseen dangers, doubt and uncertainty but also full of lessons, growth and redemption (at least is has been like that for me).  I also love the metaphor of shedding things - both literal and figural.  Letting go.  I think that's what I liked most about it.