Step Kids

2ManyQuestions

Hi,

I have a question and would like top hear any response good or bad. So if someone gets remarried and there is step kids (young adults) involved, if that parent passes away are they still your step kids and/or step brother or sister to your kids?

I am referring to adult kids and not parenting your partners kids from a young age.

I would love to hear what your thoughts are and the reasoning.

have a great day ALL.

Thx

I think that would completely depend on the relationship between the people involved.  Remaining "family" in a situation like this would be a choice.  My step dad was my dad from a very young age and had he outlived my mom he always would have been.  I hope that my 2 young adult children form a bond with my fiancé and his kids such that they would continue to have a relationship with them if something happened to me. I'm pretty sure my now 13 year old has that type of bond already.

Hi T,

Thanks for your feedback and I get it on the morally side and if the relationship is positive. What if the relationship is negative, legally that connection is no longer once the parent passes away as there is no connection?

Have a great day.

-D

I ask due to my son is completing an in depth form and he was not sure if step sisters still apply..

My youngest son had to fill out a massive amount of documentation for his Top Secret clearances.

According to his FBI interrogator, ALL family - dead, alive, current, from the past, etc. were required to be listed.

Don't know if this is similar to you son's situation or not.

Good luck. - Mike