First trip alone

I'm on day 5 of my week long trip on the east coast alone and I'm okay. I booked it so long ago. I thought it would be a chance to show myself I really can stand on my own two feet. About 1 week before I started getting scared. What if I break down in grief? What if the loneliness is unbearable?

But it hasn't been. Sure I've had my crying fits. I've been doing a lot of hiking on the coast and turns out trees are great therapist for a rambling widow such as myself. I've eaten dinner alone with a good book. I've chatted with strangers. I've seen lots of beautiful sites. And I wear his wedding ring on my right hand and carry his day pack everywhere I go. Its like he's right along side me as I go. It was scary but I'm glad I did this. :)

• Like 2

Go you!  It takes bravery.  I took an extremely brief trip alone during the first year, and then a longer international trip at about two years.  I think one of the most valuable things we can give ourselves is the opportunity to learn how to enjoy our own company, to force ourselves to learn that.  For me, that two years trip changed so much for me - opened me up inside, gave me a boost of empowerment and freedom I really needed.  I'm thinking of you! 

I've been doing a lot of hiking on the coast and turns out trees are great therapist for a rambling widow such as myself. I've eaten dinner alone with a good book. I've chatted with strangers. I've seen lots of beautiful sites.

Nice KK!

I did a similar thing last fall. Spent 5 weeks on a solo road trip: hiking around southern Oregon and Northern California. I actually feel like I was a bit more social when I was out there... talking to strangers about non-widowy stuff. A few times I went out for dinner alone but ending up sharing a pizza with another solo-diner.

A few things I noticed about the experience that would lead me to encourage others to get out there and do a solo-trip

• Before: You get excited before the trip...planning and researching. The excitement (and sometimes nervousness) grows as the departure date approaches
  • During: Seeing beautiful sites, enjoying nature, and feeding my brain brand-new stimuli and situations seem to eclipse thoughts of the past
  • After: looking at the pictures, and sharing the stories, reflecting on the things I got a chance to see and enjoy. New memories! And of course, the sense of accomplishment that comes with the planning and completion of an adventure :)

Be forewarned however... it was only a few days after my return that a little voice in my head began whispering.... "what's next?"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...