Are you still Mrs.....

jgib

I am only 10 months out but still want to be called Mrs. However, I am also a teacher and started a new school district right before my husband passed. I hate when I get asked by my elementary students, "Are you a Mrs. or a Ms." When I reply Mrs. I get the response, "So you're married."  I just cringe.

So I may just be a Ms. to avoid the questions.

I'm also a teacher and generally write Ms. now. The kids all say Mrs. for most everybody though, so no big deal either way. I'm starting a new job/new school in the fall and would really like to go back to my maiden name, but it would be too much work legally so I will just stay Ms. R for now.

I've had kids ask me why Ms. and I just explain that my husband passed away, so I'm not married anymore.

I never really identified with DH's last name. It's one no one pronounces correctly and his grandfather "simplified" it, but in reality made it harder to pronounce, just easier to spell. So the teacher in me is irritated by it, lol.

I hinted at wanting to go back to my maiden name to NG when we get married, but he acted a bit offended. His last name is a different one too, but at least it's pronounced how it's spelled so I will deal with it for him  ;D

I have never changed my name.  I've been married and widowed twice and never wanted to be known as or called Mrs. Husband's Last Name or even worse, to me, Mrs. Husband's First and Last Name.

People sometimes call me Mrs. My Last Name and it feels awkward, too.  It always has.  In work situations, I've always gone by my first name, and in formal situations, people have generally called me Ms. My Last Name.

When people want their children to call me a name of respect, I am usually called Miss Maureen.

I know that in other cultures, women keep their own names.  I was happy to be married to my husband's but I have always bristled at the thought of feeling owned by them, which is some of how I feel with respect to "adopting" their name as mine.

Maureen

Is this thread for girls only?  I'll just make one post FWIW and ski-daddle.

I am still known by my DW's maiden name and my name combined as one name.  We both changed our surnames to the combination.  I have no desire to change that.  I will die with her name as part of my own.

Is this thread for girls only?  I'll just make one post FWIW and ski-daddle.

I am still known by my DW's maiden name and my name combined as one name.  We both changed our surnames to the combination.  I have no desire to change that.  I will die with her name as part of my own.

All welcome and invited for sure.  Had no intention of exclusion but had Mrs, Ms, Miss on my mind....

Thanks for sharing your choices! 

I have no desire to go back to my maiden name so his name with no Mrs seems odd.  We all work it out how we can, don't we?

ms his last name ...same as my children's....I like it. never ever thought that changing my last name meant that  he owned me.(i wouldn't have liked that thought at all)..the name change to me just said that we chose to be bonded together

Like Wheelerswife never changed mine, just never got the concept and why it was (almost) inevitably the woman who did it. Any bloke who was offended by that - huge red flag and goodbye matey! Change yours if you want! Still it is pretty common not to change here. Our children are hyphenated, also common here across all social groups. Be what you want, I guess.

I've had the same last name I've had my entire life, and don't have much call to be referred to as Mrs. or Ms., generally just First Name/Last Name works on mail, and most people just call me by my first name in any case. Teachers, though, I completely get the conundrum.

Different here, because I changed my middle name to his last name - couldn't bear to part with my last name.  When he was alive, I barely used my full name.  Now I do.  I want his name said and seen.  It was said and seen all the time when he was alive.  I like to keep that teeny part of him in the world.