Meal Ideas for Working Parents

Eddienhp

We walk in at 6pm so dinner has to be ready quick. I do cook in advance so I can heat up and throw a meal together quick. I also have a few dinners that are fast to cook from scratch. The problem is we are in a rut of eating the same things over and over. The kids are 8 and 5. We don't eat or order out much and home prepared food is preferred. I would love to hear your ideas!

Thanks,

Eileen

We run about every night-But I try to have us sit down for dinner.

Very busy evenings and I am tired after work.

Little Ceasers Pizza once a week and I make a salad. Pick pizza up on way home. I think it's gross but my kids love it and for 5.00 you can't beat the price.

Breakfast for dinner-blueberry pancakes, egg beaters, bacon

Crock pot Something-roast, pork, chicken

I make tacos or spaghetti-sliced raw veggies in ref. I keep fruit too.

Hamburgers/hotdogs on George Foreman grill-Grilled cheese/Mac n cheese

These are basic...but during the week it's nuts in the evening here. Weekends we grill outside salmon, shrimp, steaks...But I never get fancy anymore with 3 active kids and boys who eat all evening anyway.

I am sure someone will have recipes and better ideas...I try to cook fast and cheap lateky

A dear, fellow widow sent me a link to this book very early on. It is a lifesaver, and my daughter enjoys selecting our meals from it:

Crock-Pot 5 Ingredients or Less Cookbook

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-5-Ingredients-Less-Cookbook/dp/1412729378/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427392895&sr=8-5&keywords=CROCKPOT+COOKBOOK

The recipes are very good, and I love the fact that they require so few ingredients. My widow-brain still doesn't do "complexity" very well.

Also, crockpot liners are a must in my book (also suggested by fellow wid). Makes cleanup soooo much easier. I have only used the Reynolds liners, but there are some other brands, too.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=CROCKPOT%20liners

Crock pot recipes are a big help, tacos are easy and quick, quesadillas are quick (left over chicken, shredded cheese, veggies if you like, soft tortilla in a pan), I make a big pot of sauce and meatballs on a weekend and freeze in separate containers for single meal, and anything on the grill (easy clean up).

I get in a cooking rut too, same old thing week after week.

Guest TooSoon

We eat a ton of soup (neither one of us eats meat and I eat no dairy so soups are good).  My strategy is to make an entire pot, eat it for dinner, put some in containers for my work lunch and freeze the rest in ziploc bags.  Eventually we wind up with several different kinds stocked up and my daughter (who is 8 ) loves to "make" her own dinner, taking them out and microwaving them herself.  Bonus!

We do the $5 dinner series. Once or twice a month, I spend a few hours cooking, which, I'll admit, can be a pain. However, the reward is that I have a huge stash of ready made meals in the freezer. Usually, I do two plans at once, and alternate - every other night is a crackpot meal.

I can post the link to the site once I'm off my phone!

P.s. as someone who loves to cook, I'm always up for new recipes!

I would LOVE to use my crockpot, but I run out the door at 7:00 am and don't get back in until 5:45 pm. My crockpot runs hot, and most recipes are for 8 hours; by the time I get home and ready to put food on the table, it's been cooking/heating for 11 hours and is fairly inedible.  Wish they made crockpots that allowed for delayed starts.  :-\

Wish they made crockpots that allowed for delayed starts.  :-\

This type may be a good alternative as it allows you to have it stop cooking and go to warming mode after however much time you choose:

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-Programmable-Touchscreen-SCVT650-PS-6-5-Quart/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427474426&sr=8-5&keywords=crockpot+with+a+delay+timer

Wish they made crockpots that allowed for delayed starts.  :-\

This type may be a good alternative as it allows you to have it stop cooking and go to warming mode after however much time you choose:

http://www.amazon.com/Crock-Pot-Programmable-Touchscreen-SCVT650-PS-6-5-Quart/dp/B001KVZTFO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1427474426&sr=8-5&keywords=crockpot+with+a+delay+timer

Sweet! The Cadillac of Crock-Pots! I wish I had one of those - DD forgot to turn the pot to "warm" at 8 hours yesterday, but dinner was OK  :)

You might also try using one of these mechanical timers to either set the on or off time:

http://www.amazon.com/Woods-50006-Indoor-24-Hour-Mechanical/dp/B006LYHED0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427477915&sr=8-2&keywords=timer

Love my crockpot, but last year switched over to an electric pressure cooker which was game-changing both in terms of timing and flavor.  Chicken and veggies ready in about 20 mins.

I dislike cleanup so am thrilled with one pot that can be used to saute (without lid) and then you can just pop the lid on to cook.

Hippressurecooking.com has great recipes, i am not affiliated but love the site. 

I have found that making a meal plan for one or two weeks at a time was a huge game changer for me. Relieves much of the stress that comes with "what's for dinner".

Tacos

Spaghetti

Meatballs

Crockpot meals - I recently seared some seasoned pork tenderloins, placed in crockpot, covered with salsa verde and viola! Eat plain, with tortillas, over salads, etc. Soooo yummy.

Soups or chili in the crockpot are easy.

Chicken fajitas

I use a steamer a lot for veggies, baked potatoes and fish. Super easy and most things take only 20 minutes or less.

I also have pots that have pressure cooker lids and LOVE them for easy to make chicken and veggies.

Pancakes, french toast or waffles with egg omelet muffins.

Cereal, pizza, hot dogs/brats, mac n cheese, chicken nuggets, corn dogs are quick go to foods but quite honestly ... yuck! But I do it probably once a week for the convenience.

Also, my 3 kids and I go out for a meal once a week so I get a day off from cooking.

Haystack Supper---

Soda crackers, crushed

Hamburger, browned, drained and taco seasoning added

Lettuce, chopped

Tomatoes, chopped

Green peppers, chopped

Onions, chopped

Spaghetti or rice or both (cooked until soft)

Put some of each on your plate, one layer at a time. Top with shredded cheese or a homemade cheese sauce. Also good to add is salsa or ranch dressing if you want to.

Thanks for starting this, can't wait to see what others add to the topic.

I usually get a deli roast chicken once a week.  We don't eat much of it the first night, so I will shred it after dinner and set aside to make with chicken salad or a delicious tortilla soup for the next day. 

I have purchased frozen salmon fillets, salmon burgers at Costco and throw those on a grill or in the oven.  Side dishes are usually roasted brussel sprouts, asparagus, etc.

I have cooked up brown rice in a rice cooker and then formed cup-sized rice balls and frozen them individually in plastic wrap or wax paper.  I thaw it out a little as I need, then heat up on a plate or in a bowl in the microwave for quick rice.

My biggest problem is the amount of food we have when I cook so I try to think of ways to freeze what I prepare into smaller portions that can be pulled out in the evening.  Lately, it's been a lot of eating on the run with G's activities.

So glad that grilling weather is back!

If your kids like fish: tuna steaks. The go straight from freezer to grill (for those times when you forget to lay something out to thaw) and cook in less than 10 minutes. We had these two nights ago with some Near East-brand rice pilaf, carrots, and green beans. My daughter actually wants her tuna "plain", as opposed to marinated - Yay!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a lot of success with emeals.com.  Its a meal planning web site that will give you dinner for seven nights (lunch and breakfast are optional) complete with a grocery list.  For $60 per year I can;t beat it.

A few go to dishes for us:

Wonton soup - low fat, low sodium chicken broth brought to a simmer. Add Annie Chuns mini wontons and heat for 5 minutes. Add a ton of baby spinach and cook til wilted. DD loves this and it is easy, low fat and healthy.

Harvest quesadillas- leftover mashed butternut squash, black beans, saut?ed leeks and cheddar cheese on tortilla, cooked as a quesadilla. Served with a salad.

Pan fried noodles - leftover spaghetti cooked in a single layer over olive oil in a large pan. Often will cook leeks and garlic with shrimp first. Cook the pasta and serve the shrimp on the pan fried noodles. Served with a salad it is yummy.

Omelette are quick and easy.

I also will grab a roasted chicken on occasion. It is great for a quick dinner. Then I make chicken salad with leftovers and on the weekend cook up the carcass and make potpie.

My version of chili mac:

Take one large pan

Saute diced onion and celery

Throw in lean ground turkey

Sprinkle with taco seasoning and ground cumin

When turkey is browned (I don't drain because it is so lean) toss in one large can stewed tomatoes (mash up the tomatoes a bit in the pan)

Then add one can chili beans (I use an organic blend)

While this simmers I cook up a box or 2 of Annie's organic mac n cheese.

When finished serve the chili over the mac n cheese garnished as you wish (we do shredded cheese, sourcream and jalapenos).

This dinner can be made in 1/2 hour (even less if you have prediced the onions and celery.

Guest Mel4072

Rotisserie chicken one night with veggies.

Next night chicken pot pie with leftover chicken, frozen veggies, jar gravy or cream soup  in a frozen pie shell. Bake 30 minutes at 350.

Spaghetti. Pasta, jar or can and ground sausage.

Jambalaya: brown 1 lb ground sausage, one chopped green pepper and one chopped onion, with garlic salt and worcestehite sauce. Make 6 cups rice. Combine with meat, add tomato sauce, stir!

Stir fry any meat with teriyaki sauce and frozen veggies. Gotta have egg rolls!

• 2 weeks later...

I found this recipe and made it.  It was delicious!  I did make a few changes:

1/2 can tomato paste

1 can organic crushed tomatoes

I used better than bouillon with two cans water

I did three swirls of the Worcestershire sauce - probably was 1 tbsp or so

Did an extra garlic

It was delicious and my daughter loved it

Eta:  forgot the link to the recipe!

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2013/01/sunday-night-stew/

• 2 months later...

Another easy one for those challenged in the kitchen (and passed along to me by a fellow wid): ham steaks

These are pre-cut, pre-cooked and already packaged. Just browned in a skillet with some honey (yum!) and served up with some sides. (Last night they were buttered baby carrots and green beans.)

• 3 weeks later...

Depends what you like. We eat a lot of salad, veggies (raw and cooked) and a modest amount of meat. Some specifics:

Buy a bag of baby carrots, they are peeled and washed, ready to eat raw, or easy to steam. My kids like them with hummus to dip into, or just plain. Same thing with string beans - they sell them trimmed and washed, ready to go. Other veggies like broccoli, cauliflower are good raw, too. Sometimes we use ranch dressing as a dip.

A common meal for us is a burger (we skip the buns - once you're used to that it's really very good - with a salad and one or two other veggies, raw or steamed.

Another idea - cut up a bunch of different veggies (all of the above, plus peppers, celery, etc. and keep them in containers filled with water in the fridge. Cuts down the prep time for meals. I use them to make stir fried veggies - just add some soy sauce, ginger powder, sesame oil, or whatever you like to make a (sort of) chinese meal. You can add cut up chicken or leave it vegetarian. Rice works well with it, too (which you can also premake and keep in the fridge).

Egg dishes are easy - mix eggs, cheese and whatever veggie you like to make an omelet. Or buy a pie shell and make a quiche (just eggs, cheese, a veggie like broccoli or spinach, and maybe some onion). Takes 40 minutes or so to bake, though.

Mike

This is a quick and easy meal.

White Turkey Chili

1 lb ground turkey, browned and drained

2 cans northern beans, rinsed and drained

1 jar of salsa

16oz corn  (canned or frozen, if canned drain it)

8 oz pepper jack cheese

Mix ingredients in a large pot. Stir until cheese is melted. We eat it with tortilla chips. I use organic vegetables and salsa.