Hurricane Irma

JeanGenie

I've spent the last two days at work planning accordingly since I have clients and colleagues in Florida. It has consumed my time at work and it has been emotionally draining since all I can think of are the "what if's" if I was needing to deal with this, on my own.

The last few natural emergencies/storms that passed through my area (tornado, snowstorm that took out power for over a week), DH was here so I didn't need to face these alone.  The thought of having to deal with a natural disaster alone is overwhelming and scary.

So for any of you who are impacted by Irma (or Harvey), know I'm thinking of you.

I heard that the path has turned towards the Fort Meyers area. My late husband's late mother used to live there.

I've caught myself, more than once mind you, starting to turn go look for him, and ask to make sure my mother-in-law's in a safe place. Then it hits me... no, wait, he's dead. They're both dead. Then the tears start up again. It's like a grief-ambush. :(

My inlaws are just south of Tampa and are staying, they are under mandatory evacuation but only went 5 miles away to her brother's house.  DH was the only one in the family who was more stubborn than his mom and the only one who could get her to listen to common sense.  Brother in laws wife was telling me last night that I need to take DHs place and force them to leave.  Mind you they have 3 living children in their 40's.  They haven't listened to me either and I resent the guilt trip that I should be able to take DH's role in the family over her husband who is their son! 

Saying prayers for all of our family and friends in Florida and feeling pretty helpless.

We lived on Cudjoe Key about 20 up US 1 from Key West. DH died at the hospital in Key West. It's very surreal watching all of this knowing that had things been different, we would still be there. I have many people I care about hunkering down in the Keys and many more who have evacuated to Miami, Naples, Orlando and Atlanta. I have so many conflicting emotions right now.

Moved to central Florida from Michigan a year ago.  If Irma comes through the middle she will find me.  It's been 7 years since Grant died.  As I've been doing all the hurricane prep and finding out my pool drain has issue and trying to figure out how to drain it (thank goodness for friends and neighbors) I had a meltdown.  Was yelling at him for not being here.  The last six months have been stressful with health issues for my sister and I, and we were just getting back on our feet.  I am so done with being strong all the time, but that's what we do.  We fight to survive.  Stay strong my fellow Floridians.

As I've been doing all the hurricane prep and finding out my pool drain has issue and trying to figure out how to drain it (thank goodness for friends and neighbors) I had a meltdown.  Was yelling at him for not being here.  The last six months have been stressful with health issues for my sister and I, and we were just getting back on our feet.  I am so done with being strong all the time, but that's what we do.  We fight to survive.

Beyondlife,

Yup, this would be me. Sometimes it is exhausting "being strong". Be safe and please report back to us.