4 days until 4 years and 2 weeks until chapter 2 wedding

Trying

I'm feeling very reflective tonight.  I got one of those dreaded phone calls asking for DH.  Usually I just say "he's not home" when I know it's a telemarketer but today I said " He isn't here, He has been dead for 4 years".  Wow, not easy for me or the poor woman from half way around the world on the other end of the phone.  Oh, and I had to meet with my lawyer, a close friend and and business associate of DH to finalize our prenup and my new will.  Fiancé can't really understand the importance of a very thorough will, I didn't either, before...luckily DH did.

Feeling happy about the future and nostalgic about my past has been coming out in my dreams, I wake up not real clear who I was dreaming about.  Tomorrow we go to the wedding of the son and daughter of two couples we were very close with.  Remembering them meeting at our BBQ when they were in middle school, those great parties we used to throw with friends around all of the time.  My life is so different now, I am so different now. DH and fiancé are each wonderful men and I know I am very lucky to have found a partner to share my chapter 2 but this time of year I can't thinking about my old life. 

If you made it this far into my post, thanks for listening.  I have no one I can talk to about all of this.

Thank you Tybec.  Tonight I feel like "congratulations for making lemonade out of lemons".  Fiance deserves to feel like the best thing that has EVER happened to me while in my heart he is the best thing I could ever have hoped for at this time in my life.  I would never let him feel this way, he is a God send, so thank you for hearing my heart.

I'm hearing you, and I think I'd feel pretty much the same in your shoes!

Quite recently, a lot of things of my life "before" and "after" have been coming out in my dreams. I think it's related to having some big family crises and major milestones cooling down to a low simmer. My brain's seemingly starting to relax out of an extended survival mode and starting to process everything again. The subconcious is fascinating, and kinda weird at times.

Congratulations on breaking through to a good place after all the bad, Trying!

Trying, I hear you!  Much of my recent life has been similar to what you describe.  I've remarried, and although I'm glad to be out of the worst of my intense grieving, I'm struck with the differences in my life then and now.  At times, I long for the simplicity and joy of the past, but am very grateful for what the future holds.

Congratulations on the new chapter in your life and wishing you all the happiness in the world.

Fiance deserves to feel like the best thing that has EVER happened to me while in my heart he is the best thing I could ever have hoped for at this time in my life. 

I don't think it is fair to pose this statement to yourself. When one has a happy marriage that ends in death and an unfinished life, I don't think there is any set of circumstances under which your chapter two could be "the best thing". You have formed a union that makes you happy in the present, and he is your future, but it is torturing yourself to rate places in your heart.

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! I hope you will post photos!

Hugs,

abl

• 2 months later...