We have lost one of our own

Wheelerswife

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It is hard for me to believe that it has been six months since I wrote this post.  My friend Fly has been gone that long.  I wish he was here so that I could tell him that I finally found a job in my field.  Part of me wishes he could have seen my perseverance.  He certainly listened to me lamenting the challenges and failures along the way.  He was willing to give me a job in one of his businesses, but I turned him down in order to focus on my own goals.  He encouraged me to be open to possibilities that might be outside my immediate vision for myself.  I find myself listening to this advice now, as I start thinking about the possibilities about finding a new place to live, meeting new people, and finding ways to connect with community.

I have refrained from communicating with his family too much.  I know that they are struggling to integrate more than one loss into their own lives.  His daughter, now approaching age 7, lost her mother almost 2 years ago and her beloved daddy 6 months ago.  She is a smarter version of her intrinsically driven father and I imagine she is keeping her guardians on their toes.  Fortunately, she has a village surrounding her.

I miss him.  I know others do, too. 

Sigh.

Maureen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

He had many lessons to teach, didn’t he, Sandrine?  

To live every moment to its fullest.

To grasp every opportunity, because you never know what you can learn and what fun you can have. 

To think really big - because we limit ourselves way too much.  

I miss him. He was an incredible friend. 

Maureen

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Fly, my friend, I miss you. You left this world  2 years ago. I miss hearing your perspective on life and your drive to live so fully. I hope your orphaned daughter is thriving. She would only be 8 right now. She really needed her daddy, but you gave her so much in your time here. 

Sigh. 

Maureen

• Like 1

I didn't know this man, but I continue to be stunned and amazed at how some relationships we form can change our lives. In the brief time you knew this man, your life was impacted so much. There are a handful of people here whom I have been sharing posts with for years, yet have only been in their presence a handful of times. You all have had a great part of continuing to shape my world view, and I treasure these relationships so much, in spite of the physical distances between us. 

Thank you Maureen and Sandrine2279 for keeping the memory of this man alive. 

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Oh, Fly, my friend - you have been gone for 3 years now!  Jenny's dad is gone, too.  I hear he was so heartbroken after your loss that he could not cope.  I hear today that some family and friends move forward, yet others are suffering deeply.  Your beloved daughter - is she 9 1/2 now?  I hear she flourishes, yet misses you, her mom, and her grandfather.  She has your spirit, your drive, your brilliance. 

My life is better for having known you.  The world misses you.  I wish I had more words.

Maureen

• Like 2