things that used to annoy your husband/wife about you

donswife

Let's be honest here .

I did plenty of things that bugged Don that he would mention all the time

First of all I never tighten the lid of anything from Ketchup to aspirin , drove him crazy

Every time we rented a movie I would pause it to do laundry so he never got to see a movie fully without interruption

I would slam the door every time ,I got out of his award winning truck at car shows

I tucked the sheets on his side of the bed which annoyed him and he would joke about it

I could go on and I am sure he would be more then happy to add many more

I was pretty perfect. 😜

I never annoyed my husbands.

Well, most of the time. Hubby #1 would probably say I wasn’t patient enough with him. He required detailed assistance at times and I wasn’t always as attentive as I could have been.

Hubby #2 hated being watched. It made him self-conscious. But it was interesting to watch him...

Thanks for a reason to think about my guys in a different way.

Maureen

It's funny but it's way easier to think of his annoying habits than my own because like Maureen I'm pretty perfect, right?

He would get annoyed by my procrastination.  He took care of things immediately while there are certain things I tend to mull over or put off, and put off and put off some more.

I can't remember names and he always had to prompt me in social situations or his work events.

And of course it got a bit annoying I'm sure that I am ALWAYS right.  Because of course I am.  Why couldn't he see that?  Lol

My poor husband.  People would tell my husband I was a saint.  He always joked about marrying me, marrying up.  I was psychology major, and he said he was my pet project for research, and he would be dumped eventually.

Ha!  He lived with me, a person who needed control.  I needed things to be a certain way and would get anxious and just plan bitchy.  He was a great husband, wonderful dad and  I didn't appreciate it at all.  I hear more stories of marriages now since maybe I am in the single category, and WOW.  I had it so well!

So, he ended up being ADHD, tested at work by a colleague around age 30.  Poor man lived with me, and it was a tough combination.  I chilled a lot when we had a child.  Just had to. 

He allowed me to run the house and decorate, not really caring as long as he had a comfortable chair and bed.  So, he probably lived with lots of thing he didn't care for at all.

He had to deal with me and my training background.  He truly was a saint at times for me.  Couldn't be easy.  He also opened his arms and our home to our family, and I never loved his Mother moving to our town, so he got caught in the middle often.  I needed to cut him slack.  My mother moved eventually to our town, and he never complained about her and her needs.

Yup, looking in the mirror is not pretty all the time.  I was annoying.....

DH was very easygoing and "life's too short," whereas I was a stressed out worrier.  He'd always say, "My baby's driving herself cuckoo."  It was true.  It still is.  After he died, I thought maybe I could pay tribute to him in some spiritual way by becoming more like him.  I did for a while, but I think it was more that I'd become indifferent to whether I lived or died that only seemed like easygoing-ness.  As time has gone on, I've seen that his assessment was deeply true about me.  I wouldn't say it annoyed him - he was too easygoing to get annoyed - and it doesn't "annoy" me, but it does make me sad for myself (and self-pity annoys me!).

Oh I could write a lot on this topic. Most of the things that annoyed Tom about me where pretty small I think. He was not a patient person, but always patient with me. He would call me "a bull in a china shop" in the mornings when he was trying to sleep and I was getting ready for work. He would always make fun of how I would leave containers in the fridge that where almost empty. And take out "petri dishes" for me when I forgot food for too long (really miss that). The one that I feel bad about is how I was bad at taking constructive criticism for my art work, but was very good at giving my opinion on his art work. How I miss our imperfectly perfect life together.

Can we also do this the other way around - what used to annoy me about my husband ?? LOL

I relate to what Mizpah noted - my husband was more laid back while I was the organizer and worrier. It drove me crazy sometimes that he wouldnt take things more seriously. But after he died, I learned to relax more about things that weren't important and learned to not take life so seriously and have more fun. I'm thankful he taught me that. I loved that he didn't care what anyone thought - I miss that and wish I could be more like that !

I was terribly messy - and terrible at putting things back in their original spot.

My stubbornness !

The fact that I was terrible about picking up the phone (I unf really do more texting). He would call me a million times a day....seriously.

Donswife, What a great topic! Thanks for starting it.

Funny how I'm struggling to identify something in myself. Of course, part of that is because he didn't complain about whatever it was that I might do to annoy him.

When I told him I'd be home from work at a certain time, he always knew to add 30 mins.

When I'd piss and moan about whatever long list of things that needed to be done, he would wisely stay in the other room and know not to engage.

When he was on his death bed, I did apologize for the times "I was such a bitch" and he just smiled and we laughed about how his response was NOT "you were never a bitch".

I do wonder how my DH would respond to this post because he never complained about any annoying habits I'm sure I have...

My Thing  that annoyed him was that I didn't always support him......

He might complain about something that happened to him at work and I would try and get him to look at it from the other persons point of view.

So I guess it's true ,I didn't always support him, but only in things when I thought there might of been a different approach. I wouldn't blindly support him just because he was my husband. He would have liked it if  did.

This was our biggest issue......but everything else was pretty darn good.

Interesting thread!

Wow, many things I did, or didn't do in some cases,  annoyed my husband. Where to begin?

I took life too seriously.

I micromanaged the kids.

I would forget to wave at the neighbors.

I spent too much money on shoes.

I loved staying home instead of socializing.

I would read instead of talking to him when we road tripped, or just read too much in general.

I snored ( he claimed).

I sweated the small stuff.

I didn't enjoy fishing much.

I didn't enjoy scuba diving much.

I sucked at snow skiing.

I was a germ phobe.

I didn't like playing cards.

I didn't like going to church.

I could on...but like Captain's  Wife said, can we reverse  this question next?  Haa.

• 3 weeks later...

We had minor annoyances. The first thing that came to mind was Phil teasing me about how often I changed our bed sheets. He hated his pillow fluffed. :) I started leaving his pillow case on his pillow so it wouldn't be fluffed by me. See, I'm a problem solver.

My relationships with my sisters is probably the thing that annoyed him the most - I have 5 sisters and don't really speak with 1 as we don't get along, and two others are just casual acquaintances (one didn't even come to his funeral). He only had a single sister so couldn't grasp the dynamics of a large family, he pushed me to be best friends with all of them.

I drove Big Guy crazy lol. He was more of a neat freak than I ever will be. Drove him absolutely bonkers with shoes. They would stay, (still do haha) wherever I flip them off my feet. He started hiding them. Found the stash about 2 years after he died. Was pissed and laughed my ass off all at the same time.

I love Christmas music. I have a collection of old Christmas albums, tune my car radio to the Christmas station every December, and have very fond memories of going caroling with my youth group in high school. My husband- not so much. See, he was born cool (seriously, like, with a capital C) and that was just a bit too square/cheesy for him to deal with. I had to listen to this stuff when he was not around or be ready to deal with his grumblings of displeasure; though he would occasionally tolerate my cassette tape of Elvis's Blue Christmas. 

Fast forward to today. My bf borrowed my car and when he came back he was super excited and happy to be greeted with Christmas music when he started up the vehicle. Ha! Take THAT, Papa! :D

• 1 month later...

This thread has me in tears.

I wish I could have been more perfect-and yet the perfectionsm was the annoyance. My tears are from remembering a moment towards the end when he told me sternly, YOU NEED TO STOP THIS...because I was upset at how out of control everything was becoming and his stupid cousin from Canada wanted to come and visit us and the house wasn't clean enough and I knew I didn't have enough steam left in me to clean it and still do everything I really needed to do. Like pay the bills. Like dealing with Dr.s. Like all of that.

On top of that I knew his stupid cousin wanted to come because my husband was dying and it pissed me off that this cousin wanted to come and visit when he never had before. And the whole pretense. I called BS. Still makes me so mad. Nothing worse than the trolls who come out when death is closing in.

Me calling BS on the pretense was super annoying. Bah...he loved me nevertheless.

Judy