Online Dating - only weirdos ‘like’ and message me

Englishwidow

Is this normal? Only just put photo and detailed text on last 24 hours. So far bunch weirdos clicked ‘like’ and worse weirdos sent messages. Do I carry on? Do weirds come out of the woodwork straight away ready to pounce, metaphorically, and have to wait a while for normals. OR is it something wrong with my profile? Help

Especially when you first get online to various dating sites, you get bombarded - and the choice is often not great matches. Ive done a fair amount of online dating and it can take time to meet more compatible people but the issue with online dating is you do get contacted by a number of people you would never go near (and you wonder why they even contact you!!!) Just be patient and try to have a good sense of humor about it. On your profile, make sure you have good pics, and try and inject some humor into your written profile. Wishing you all the best - know its not easy but try and have fun with it : )

OR is it something wrong with my profile?

Well, maybe. The best profiles have been vetted by a trusted friend that is the opposite sex of you. So, if you haven't already, have a good guy buddy look your's over.

My profile was a disaster until a lady workmate helped me rework it.

Just go nice and slow and be ready to simply ignore the goofballs.

Good luck - it's a jungle out there.

Mike

yeah I'd add to the just be patient and don't expect it to be instant success....

Respond ...don't respond...that's your choice . If they strike you as weird don't talk with them.  If you're not sure, have a conversation, just don't share all your private details.

I tried different types of profiles. Short and witty, long and detailed. I don't know that I really noticed a big difference in the caliber of guys that responded. Still got weirdos with both. So I doubt it's your profile.....hey you can always test it by changng it.....

Thanks for all your replies.

Yeah, in olden days if I was at a disco or in a club and weirdo came up would just say ‘ in your dreams mate!’. Somehow online, when sat in own living room on iPad, feels like weirdo at your door. Disconcerting. Just wasn’t prepared for them all to come knocking.

Already changed profile, like you suggested.

I have read all other Wids experiences of online and thought that the issues I’d be facing would be just weird-widow-world ones; ‘am I ready’, ‘can I realistically imagine gazing at another mans face let alone touching another man’, ‘am I past it’, ‘what would it be like’, ‘will I want to run off home’, ‘what will we talk about’, ‘will he laugh at my jokes’ etc etc. Was not expecting to have to wade through the fringes of society before even got to any gut twisting crises of widow confidence if someone OK actually contacted me.

Nice frosty sunny morning here. Just back from walking dog over fields. New day. Dust myself off. Lower my expectations for ‘normals’ to contact me immediately. Be patient. Someone thought I was OK once, someone else will too. Its just when read all of your experiences seems to much more straighforward, than my bunch of freaks.

I wasn't on line long as I started dating NG in about a month and here we are going on 2 yrs. later.  Our running joke is he needed a green card or was a lonely on the road truck driver.  Had my fair share of them.    Good luck!

I only "liked" someone's profile once.  The next day he had hidden it from me.  I can only infer he thought I was weird.  I am, a little, but I'd assumed one would have to get to know me a little  to come to that conclusion.