Share your experience

CandiceS

I am a widowed Mother. I have two kids under two and lost their dad almost a year ago, but that’s not why I’m here today. I’m considering making a blog post about widowed mothers and need some personal experiences from other people to give more than one perspective. I always see posts about dealing with divorce, the effect of divorce on children, dating with kids after a divorce. When I was looking for tips on what challenges I might face I found nothing except sites about processing greif. I’d like to help people like us know that they’re not alone in this without them having to happen to find this site and post their experience in hopes of a positive response like we did. You can choose to go by your username or remain anonymous, that’s up to you. What did you wish you knew when you lost your significant other/child’s parent.

• 2 months later...

Hi CandiceS,

I was 34 and my boys were ages 8 & 6 when their dad died of sepsis.  Two things that I wish I had known beforehand:

-that life would not stop so I could grieve; or that people (mainly DH's creditors) would try to take advantage of my altered state.  It was only from people from our previous site, chapter2.org, that I knew that my state, Ohio, was not a community property state and that I didn't owe anything on his debts.

young widows/widowers need to know that they are not alone.

I wish you luck with your new blog.  What is the blog's name?

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, great idea, no there is nothing out there. I hate articles who only include single parents by choice and divorcees, the widowed d onot exist somehow...keep me updated, I' d be interested.

our son was almost 2 when he lost his father. He misses a dad. I cannot be a dad. I had to find out that I cannot explain some male physical stuff to him, because I don't know, so I send him t ohis uncles, cousins etc.

I worry abuot the effect of my grief on his psyche. I am still stressed and down and cry often, old and new pain and I always wanted to be a happy mum...

keep me posted, I will think abuot more stuff...good luck