The Old divorce comparison

Adley

I still say there is no comparison, and yes I agree with serpico they both hurt!

They one statement I hate even more though is, " the football, golf, any sport widow!"

I have had NO problem politely correcting those women who have used those statements loosely, and then went on to explain that I am a "real" widow who NEVER imagined that I would actually be one at 43 yrs old.

To those I shared that with, they always got very quiet for a few moments, and I could tell they were thinking about if they were in my situation, then they would apologize. To which I would just ask them to remove those kind of statements from their vocabulary because you never know what has happened in others lives around you....

Heck, I didn't until it happened to me!

The differences go far beyond just the issue of shared pain.

I got this a lot from my own sister who had been divorced.  She made all of the usual comparisons, "I know just how you feel", Death is better than divorce" etc.  In fact, it brought out a real bitter/ugly side to her personality because she felt like I received more sympathy than she did.  I never took the bait or said anything because I felt it pointless to do so.  To me they are just two completely different situations.  End of story.

Fast forward a couple of years...  You will be happy to hear that she is now happily remarried to her husband!  God Bless the opportunity of reconciliation!

Me, well...  ((( crickets )))

Yep, still not the same!  :)

Fast forward a couple of years...  You will be happy to hear that she is now happily remarried to her husband!  God Bless the opportunity of reconciliation!

So true they had a chance to reconcile which we never had bcs we didn't separate. People forget even when they are divorced their kid has both parents our don't.