Dating as a widow parent of young kids

Dragonfly

Hi. So anyone have any advice on dating as a youngish widow parent of young kids? Late husband passed over a year ago and I have a 5 year old and am finding dating awkward. I started dating someone exclusively but it's so different being a widow compared to other single parents. Not being able to spend the night or be spontaneous. I feel like I am in high school. Need to get a sitter or if family babysits still feeling odd like I am breaking a rule or something. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this. It's hard to find other widows with young kids to relate to.

My husband died August 2015 and I have been dating a while. I have three kids, 10, 6 and 4 years old. Yes it is hard dating and always hard to find a baby sitter. I have my parents but I can´t ask them all the time. Sometimes I have a "real" baby sitter whom I pay per hour. Now I have met a guy that I like but it´s always the pressure of finding a sitter. Someday I think I´ll ask him if we can have a playdate or accidentally bump into eachother on the playground so we can meet even if the children are with us.

I´ve heard of many widows or single parents without baby sitter who invite the date home when the children have gone to bed. That would be quite odd I think but maybe it works.

Mine were a bit older (10) when I started dating, so I didn't need a sitter to go on a dinner date. However, it is tough because there's never "time off" from your kids.

Sorry, no real advice except that oud you are dating someone that doesn't understand, then they probably aren't the right person for you.

• 1 month later...

Hi, sorry no advice, but understand how you feel. it IS difficult. I totally messed up my first try at something new after almost4 years....good luck and I would advice to keep him away from the children until he has figured out what he wants and if you want him in the family and if that would be a role for him. My date run suddenly and I had allowed him into our mini family way too soon so more loss for my son who is only 6 now and  misses a father...good luck!!