Total Apathy

Is reaching a place where you're just numb and totally apathetic to everything and everyone normal? I'm 7.5 months out since losing my husband, and I've found that most of the time I feel nothing now. I even went on a vacation with my kids and family to Mexico and felt absolutely nothing. No excitement to be there. Was a lot of work to pack and live out of a suitcase.  It was nice to escape Wisco winter, and not have to go to work, but I couldn't even find happiness there. There are glimmers: I can take some joy knowing that my kids had fun, I wasn't a basket case, although I was sad because J was missing, but otherwise, I basically just moved my numbness from cold to warm. I'm afraid that by NOT feeling, I'm letting go. I don't want to be a walking, talking zombie. But maybe this is normal? 

Leadfeather, I know what you mean. I welcome it, because at least I'm not crying all the time. Or angry. But at the same time, I'm afraid not to feel. Sometimes i really think that I need to get off of my antidepressants, LOL.

While it is a normal stage many of us cycle through, since you mentioned antidepressants in a later post - make sure you're on a correct dose/ a med that works for you. While I didn't take antidepressants when I became widowed, I did for my PPD after giving birth to the twins and started feeling very apathetic like you described, cutting my dosage really helped because while I wasn't feeling such severe lows, I wasn't feeling the highs either anymore on the higher dosage.

So normal. I remember in my first year a friend took me to an animal sanctuary (because I love animals) and I got to bottle feed baby deer, hand feed strawberries to a turtle, and pet a capybara. I felt nothing.

I feel like I should add: it will be 6 years June 11th and - at this point- any one of those aforementioned activities would have me over the moon with joy. So, yeah, apathy is part of the journey but it is by no means the final destination.