We have always lived life differently, why should anything be different now?

Mac

I have always been different. Never knew why. Then I started my business and figured out why being different is a good thing. Years later I would have a son with Autism. I am so used to being different, I don't know if I could ever be the same as most others are. A different drum, out of the box, on the edge, you name it, I am there!

Eileen

Hi Mac, I have been thinking about how to respond to your earlier post about living an extraordinary life and just saw this one.  Two things come to mind.  First, while much of my life revolves around the ever shifting realities of raising a little girl (I suppose now very young woman), I have lived and feel like I continue to live an extraordinary life.  There are the Big Things (like trips abroad, music festivals, shows in NYC) but there are also a lot of Little Things that are, to me, extraordinary (for example, a great book, seeing a heron in the park, walking around our little city with no other objective than just to see what we discover, stopping into a dive bar and talking to whoever is there, baking bread).  Those little things are extraordinary because I choose to see them that way - for me, it is a matter of perspective.

Second, to this current post, I've never cared what others think about me or my choices.  I have never had an interest in material things, for example.  If anything, I actively dislike them.  Rather, it is experiences and relationships that are important to me.  Surrounding myself with interesting people makes me much happier than, say, a new pair of shoes or a piece of jewelry ever could.  In this regard, I am different than most of the people around me in the suburban world in which I (hopefully not for much longer) live.  Its just how I'm wired;  live and let live, march to the beat of your own drummer, to each their own, etc.  - for as long as I have been aware of myself, that's who I've been.  There are plenty of people who don't quite "get me."  but it has never bothered me.  So to your question, I don't think I could live any differently than living what seems to be "different" to other people because for me it isn't different - its just normal! 

I hope you find answers to these questions that seem to be related in some way and wish you happiness and peace.

Thank you for your responses. It's an interesting time for me. I just recently finished most all of my parental financial responsibilities. Both of my children have graduated from college and are doing well. My daughter is married, my son is getting married next year. I've adjusted to this "new life" in so many ways. I'm letting my "free spirit" fly even more. I've had two relationships so far, things start to feel too structured there with time.

So maybe my postings were just reminders to myself. It seems like so many great things come with spontaneity. I've been experiencing some super cool ones lately. At times I feel as if some of my longterm friendships are even starting to take away from my sense of freedom and of being more of a free spirit. It does seem as though the last 3 or 4 months have been a time of transition and of even more discovery.

There is nothing like freedom.  It feels so good.  An interesting time for you for sure - keep us updated on where it leads you.  (From one having a hard transition from freedom to motherhood, I'll take little bits of vicarious living!  ;)  )