Just Another Dead Dog Story

Euf

I know this isn’t really a widow thing. But I guess because it’s a death thing, it seems to make sense to me to come here.  And because YOU are really my people, it seems this is where I can talk about it.

Yeah, I get that we don’t want the comparisons between our dead spouses and a dead pet. That is not what I am doing.

Jim and I were “dog people".  But this last dog that I had was mine. Jim died, our dog died and I ended up with another dog that was my dog.

But now, that dog is dead.

As a dog person, you know that you have to say that every now and then. This is one of the now and then times.

She was a different type of dog than one’s I’d had before.  She seemed aloof.  At least to everyone else. She didn’t really like anyone but me although she tolerated some other people.

But she loved me.

Not in that crazy mindless way that Nickie (the dog that loved everything and everybody) loved me and not like Sophie who had her “issues” loved me, but Lexie loved me because I was her person.

We had each other and we lived a quiet life.  Not too much drama. Just two buddies hanging out.  Mostly just happy to have a good friend.

She felt no need to hang all over me.  She didn’t care if I was in one room and she was in another.  Sometimes she felt like sleeping with me and sometimes she didn’t.

Today was a beautiful day and if she was alive, we would have sat on the porch.  I’d have read a book.  She’d have smelled the world and maybe chased a squirrel or two, or barked at someone walking down the street.  I’d have let her bark for a while, and then called her back to the porch. She would have rolled her eyes as if to say “Mom! There are people and critters and all kinds of things going on.  Do you expect me to just sit here?”

But that wasn’t how today went.

Because my dog died and I had to sit on the porch by myself.

I’m one of the few wids who hasn’t ever gotten bent out of shape when someone talks about their dead pets when finding out I’m a widow. I get why it pisses people off, I totally do. But, I mean, this is a creature who is with you day in and day out, sees you at your very best and absolute worst, for years on end (if you’re lucky). How could I possibly dismiss the depth and intimacy that can come from such a bond? I’ve mentioned this before- I still keep pictures up of my first dog, dead over a decade now; I’m past caring if anyone finds this odd or ridiculous. (He was magical, like getting to live with a unicorn).

I’m so sorry, Euf. Losing a dog really sucks. As you know, I lost mine in January and I find myself occasionally wandering around feeling so...unmoored without that little heartbeat in my home.

I get it.  My two cats are my kids.  Years ago, I had to put my boy cat, Samuel, to sleep. It hurts.  Since I lost Steve and recently my mom, my cats are the people (well animals) that keep me going.  Without them, I don't know if I could survive in this world.  We can always count on our pets to help us make it through the day.

Euf - I am sorry. 

I had a cat which helped me through a difficult summer.  I would come home, toss my bag on the floor, pick up a beer, and head out the back door with the cat. He followed me around the yard and I'd decompress from a bad day.  Sometimes we sat and watched the sun set from the yard.  He died just after Christmas in 2015. I've since taken in a foster cat, who I mistakenly call by Old Cat's name. He doesn't mind, but he's not Old Cat, either.

Oh Euf, my heart breaks for you.  Just before he was diagnosed, my DH bought our dog Alfie.  DH died 16 months later and Alfie was the only thing that kept me going, and is still keeping me going.  I'd have checked out long ago were it not for him.  Human friends have been very, erm, disappointing shall we say?  Alfie is my only family and of course its not the same as losing my Steve, but I dread the day Alfie goes ...... sending love and hugs

(((hugs)))

I get it. It hurts when they leave us. My dog is my best friend. Is he the same as a human? Of course not. But he is a huge part of my life and I spend more time with him than anyone else. No one loves me as much as my dog does.

Sorry for your loss. :'(