Mixed Feelings

Virgo

My late husband was a K9 officer. Tuesday his police department is having a police officer memorial service. They want my daughters to be a part of the service. They want them to lay roses down on his memorial marker. Part of me is honored and grateful that they want to do something to acknowledge him. The other part is disappointed that the only time they reach out is if it's seen by the public eye. I don't appreciate my daughters being used as a public relations stunt. Why can't they do this part of the ceremony for family and his fellow officers before the camera crews show up? 

My mother in law of course is honored and wants to be involved too. She thinks we should all be there. My 18yo is scheduled to work and refusing to go. My 15yo has a choir practice, but I can pull her out. She's undecided. My 10yo says she'll participate if her sisters do. I am starting school Monday, so I wouldn't be able to be there until later. More than likely after the part of the ceremony where they would honor him. 

Oh Virgo I can only imagine the mixed emotions this causes you and your girls to struggle with.  It's wonderful to know our husbands made such an impact on so many while they were alive but that public persona is not who we miss.  We miss the guy who left his socks on the floor, didn't load the dishes right in the dishwasher, never missed our kids ball games, could make us laugh like no one else, and shared almost every memory we have as adults.  

Do what's right for all of you.

• Like 2

It's so difficult, even more so when it involves our children. My dh's work did things and didn't include or even inform me or the kids. Don't know if I can ever get over

their inconsiderate feelings towards his actual family, you know? It's been 11 years for us now and our daughter every once in a while will still mention it. I don't mind now

saying what my dh did for a living. He worked on the space shuttles and he even earned the highly coveted silver snoopy award for his work :) . So I understand the public

aspect of it, but it hurts to when the family is ignored and left completely out.

Best wishes to you and your children.

• Like 1

I'm sorry they never chose to include you. I'm sure that was hard on you and your kids. I am grateful that they include us, but I just wish it was away from the cameras. 

We're all going to try to make it except for my oldest. She is refusing to go.