Five years to the day

DonnaP

April Fool's Day. It figures. Five years ago, it was also Holy Thursday. This time of year carries a sadness now. Easter. April. Our anniversary was/is April 12. In 2010, the year Mick died, we were planning to go away for a romantic golf weekend (yes, the two DO indeed go together)...

I know I'm rambling, but that's where my thoughts are today -- all over the place. My memories of him are still vivid. There are still remnants of him everywhere in the house. I've been going through rooms and trying to de-clutter and pare down the STUFF that has taken over. Not hoarder status yet, but clean surface space is dwindling. Anyway, it seems, more and more of "his" stuff is going away. I get nostalgic looking at it, and yet have not cried over any of it yet. It think it's time to let go. It feels ok now.

I will always love you, Mick. I gave you my heart so many years ago. A piece of it is still with you. <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Donna,

They stay with us.  In so many ways, they stay with us.  I wish I could hug you today, to sit and listen as you reminisce about Mick.  It is hard to say this still (or again) but we know deep down that they would be pleased that we remembered them with tenderness, yet they would also want us to keep living...and that, you are doing. 

Hugs to you and the boys,

Maureen

I relocated during the second year so many things were sorted and disposed of one way or other long ago. And as LH spent the last two years of his life in nursing homes and hospice, there wasn't a lot of him left anyway.

But things still turn up. It's not a shock. It doesn't pull me backwards really. It feels a lot like another life and one I didn't really live.

There were regrets and guilt still around year 5 but now heading to year 10, no. Mostly all that is gone.

We do let go. And maybe that's the saddest part. We let go and are okay about it. Not something we could have ever dreamed of in the beginning.

I hope you find some good memories and things to smile about today.

Thinking of you Donna P. We are in the same "widow class" and I've so appreciated sharing this road with you. I'm glad you have arrived at the place where Mick will remain deeply cherished, but you can let go of the things. Hugs hon.

Take care, Bluebird

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. This past Sunday would have been Mick and my 29th wedding anniversary. I did not post anything that day -- I was absorbed in several wonderful activities with my amazing husband, MrDrew. We spent the entire day together and I felt more loved than lost. I still miss my sweet Mick -- especially on beautiful days when we could be golfing together -- but I am no longer lost in hopelessness and despair. My memories are vivid and happy ones. We had such a great life together. I miss that, but I can look forward to a new future--one in which I can be happy and content.

<3

DonnaP