It's been almost six years

Mac

I remember when I was first widowed. Sometimes I would ask myself, "would the kids have been better off if it would have been me rather than Cindy?" Our son had just graduated from high school and our daughter was in college. Cindy was an incredible mom, she was always so focused on our children in so many ways. Next week will = 6 years. My children are doing well and we are doing well as a family. It comforts me to know, that I don't ask myself that question anymore.

• Like 2

Whenever someone commented on how great my kids are or are doing my line had always been "Fal laid an amazing foundation, now I just have to not screw it up".  My four kids were not quite 16 through not quite 11 when she died. It's been almost 5 and a half years now. Three have or are just about to graduate from HS, two years left for my daughter. We are also doing fairly well and I guess I haven't screwed them up yet still.  Your post made me realize I don't say or think that too often anymore either, thank you. 

• Like 4

This is so timely!  We're closing in on 3 years, and my kids are always a worry to this mommy!  A month after daddy passed, the kids started high school and middle school......and it was awful......  It's refreshing to look at them now and see how well they've recovered - Yes, they fell apart at first - both failed classes, both needed lots of therapy.... but my daughter just graduated middle school with honors, and my son as made up a couple of classes that he failed freshman year, and has maintained a 4.0 this year - he's ready to graduate after 1 more class during his Sr. year, and will attend the Jr. College as a HS Senior next year.  

I'm grateful that we had our daddy as long as we did - he was a better parent than I am.... even now, I still claim that my kids are the adults in our house - and I'm so proud of them.....  

• Like 2

That is my mission. To raise a well adjusted adult who will be resilient and do all he was supposed to do despite losing his dad at an early age.   And to live to see it.   My teen is doing well, not perfect, but I still cross my fingers. Headed into HS, and I know lots can change.  I am humbled as I know great parents that have kids that make their own choices and not good ones! Praying it maintains as well.  I am proud of him.  But cautiously optimistic, too. 6 1/2 yrs. out. 

• Like 4

Quite timely post as reaching 2 year mark. Elder one my started his 2nd year engr. few days after funeral and younger one daughter started her high school. I was worried how we will last as a family. Today i can say we are not same as family but still I can be proud of both of them.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2018 at 4:04 PM, Abitlost said:

Mac, you are an incredible father. Cindy, of course, would be proud. Have a great Father's Day!

Thanks. Tomorrow = 6 years. What a life!