Panic Waves

Hello all, 

Every day I have these waves that maybe feel like panic attacks (I think...I have never had one before) because I realize that I will never get to talk to my sweetie again.  It's an overwhelming feeling of anguish, and I try really hard to just push through it.  But it scares me because it's like a wave that could easily pull me out to sea.  Has anybody felt like this?  Any ideas how to get through those moments?  Thank you for your help.

Hey Heather - I haven't experienced anguish to the level that you are but I have been so scared that it almost felt like paralysis. I think you are doing the correct thing by trying to push through it. It will most likely pass in time. If, it does not after some time, you may want to seek out a therapist/counselor that can help you feel better.  

I know it sounds impossible but the feelings of anxiousness, dread and sadness do eventually taper off. 

Best wishes - Mike 

• Like 1

Hi, Heather. 

I started experiencing panic attacks within a few days of losing my second husband unexpectedly. They were quite significant in the beginning and I did see my doctor for help with them. I did not tolerate some medications very well. I also saw a counselor with experience in grief and eventually chose to get a service dog to help me recognize early signs of anxiety. I am doing considerably better now than I was 4 1/2 years ago. 

If you need help managing what is happening, ask your doctor. There are many ways to help cope. 

Hugs,

Maureen

• Like 1