Thinking of taking a year off work

Hi,

My name is K and I lost my husband nearly 4 mo ago. I am 38. We have two young children. I have extremely limited help, both of my parents have passed. I have been on my own for awhile since my husband had not been in the house the past year due to substance abuse. I have felt very strongly about taking time off since he passed. I have zero time unless it is late at night and I am drowning. I feel like I need to take some time to soul search and do things like swim or volunteer and find me- so that I can be the best Mom to my kids. Has anyone taken a significant time away from work? 

I lost my husband suddenly when my son was 9 months old and I thought many times of taking a leave of absence from work- and I wish I had. I was just worried about doing it from a financial standpoint. I did, though, shorten my working hours at the office. If you are able to do it, taking time off with 2 young kids sounds like a really smart idea as you work through the grief. It will also give you a good period of time to bond with your kids and do other things you want to do. 

If you can afford to I think it is a great idea. I've been a stay-at-home mom all of my kids' lives and after my husband passed they were really worried about me leaving them to work. Now that I have most of the financial stuff figured out, I realize I don't have to get a job right away. I plan to take this first year to spend with my kids and figure out what I might want to do. I will probably try to get a degree of some sort. I talked with my counselor and he agreed that now isn't the time to start classes or a new career if I can avoid it. I hope everything works out for you.

• Like 1

Hi there - I wanted to lend another voice encouraging you to take the time off if you can afford it.  I did not take any time off, except for one week, and I paid dearly for it later on as the mental/emotional and physical exhaustion of caretaking and then solo parenting piled up, there was no time to even think about my grieving.  It was 24/7 autopilot until I crashed spectacularly after about 10 months.  If you can give yourself this gift, I would do it.  

• Like 1

Thankyou for all of your kind comments. I have given it a lot of thought and soul searching. My husband even came to me in a dream to say to take the time off.  It is the first time I have taken a true leap of faith and I feel very at peace. 

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

So glad you decided to do it. Took my 18 months to go against all the advice of my family and friends (all people that hadn't lost their partner) and take 3 months off. Best thing I ever did. Go with your gut instinct. Listen to your inner voice.

• Like 1