Healing does happen.

Leadfeather

Posted this on Facebook, thought I would put it here also in the off chance it might help someone. 

It has been 20 months since Christine’s death. I believe everyone can understand that finding her laying lifeless in the front yard was the worst moment in my life. I returned to work a week later. 

In those early months The waves of grief and apathy came heavy and fast. Often they would overwhelm me and I would have to retreat to the Author’s room at work to cry.  I would sit on the couch and stare at a print of eleven birds on a wire that hung on the far wall. 

The birds were grouped, in my mind, into pairs.  All except for one little bird, third from the right. He was alone. My eyes fixated on that bird while my mind grappled with the complex emotions of having become half of what I once was. 

I still miss Christine, and I always will. She helped form me into the man i am and i will always be grateful for her love. But I know she has finished this race and is now with Christ. I am still here. Wounds scar over. New relationships are made. Life continues, and a deeper appreciation for what is can be grown in the soil of loss.  

Today, wanting a few quiet minutes to reflect before continuing book layout I sat on the couch in the authors lounge and stared at the print of the birds. I realized that that single bird, third from the right, no longer feels alone. I know he has the capacity to rebuild his life and find happiness again. And for that healing I am grateful. 

Take the time today to appreciate all you have been given. Life is a gift even when we hurt.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...