Is death the end?

Every day i wonder what comes after death. I saw my husband die. I saw the lifelessness of his body and the look of nothingness in his eyes that let me know that he was no longer alive. No one has ever come back from death to tell us what happens after. 

I pray daily for faith because a large chunk of my belief in God died with my husband. I wondered what God would allow a young man with three small children to die and leave them alone in this harsh world. He had so much to live for, so much yet to experience. 

I want to grow my faith back from almost nothing. I want to believe. I want to think that when i die, he will be waiting to welcome and comfort me, or if not, then i will see him when it is time to live in paradise. 

I want to think that there is a purpose to life and it is not just a series of random and meaningless events. I want to believe that there is a grand design. 

I am going through this fire that is grief. I hope that one day i will come out of it purified and changed. All these hopes and wishes tug at my mind, but overshadowing it all is the loss i feel. I miss you, my darling...and i love you...in this life of mine, and the one you are in now. 

• Like 1

I've experienced some of the same feelings and wonderings...  I can't answer your questions, per se...  

But as we've progressed 3 years since my husband's passing, I've found that he is most definitely still with us.  We talk about him.  We mention him.  I see him in me... the things he taught me, the things we experienced together.  I see him in my kids...the looks, the things they say.....  the smallest moments ....  

And then there are the times I dream about him.... or think I smell him..... I know he's with me...  

I never noticed those things the first few months - I was too upset, too traumatized...  But as time passed, I was more able to see and hear and feel those little pieces of him.  

I pray you have the same experiences.  

• Like 1

I was never particularly religious but I am still struggling to regain faith since my husband was so suddenly and cruelly taken from us (including my nine month old son at the time). Part of me likes to think of him in a place called heaven as it gives me comfort and it gives my son comfort - so I stick to this but I struggle with how I to fully re-connect with any prior faith I did have. I had to pick up my husband after he died and identify his body and its something I will never, ever forget. I am so sorry for your loss....

Edited by Captains wife

Really sorry for your loss.

These are other points of view for your information only.

"To Buddhism, however, death is not the end of life, it is merely the end of the body we inhabit in this life, but our spirit will still remain and seek out through the need of attachment, attachment to a new body and new life. Where they will be born is a result of the past and the accumulation of positive and negative action, and the resultant karma (cause and effect) is a result of ones past actions."

https://www.urbandharma.org/udharma5/viewdeath.html

"In Buddhism, the primary purpose of life is to end suffering. The Buddha taught that humans suffer because we continually strive after things that do not give lasting happiness. We desperately try to hold on to things - friends, health, material things - that do not last, and this causes sorrow."

http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/meaning-life

Sc39,

I'm not sure how long it has been for you (12+years for me) but depending on where you are in the journey, different ways of seeing things like faith or why this happened may emerge.

On faith - While I always had faith in a life after we pass from the Earth, I had several experiences in the first few years after Cathryn's death that proved, to me at least, that she still exists. She sent me signs in several different ways. I suppose they could be explained away as coincidences, but the explanations would be complicated for some of them. I believe the simpler answer is probably the right one - they were signs from her. More importantly, I saw two different mediums and in each case Cathryn came through and gave specific evidence that it was her that no one could have known or guessed. Proof enough for me. Perhaps it would help you to find your own faith knowing that others have done so.

On why - If the question of why this happened or why God would do/allow such a thing is bothering you, I strongly suggest reading "Why Bad Things Happen To Good People", by Harold Kuchner. His discussion of this topic is very well thought out, IMO. It made a big difference to me as I was dealing with the issue of why.

Mike