Some Advice??

sudnlysngl

I need help in how to handle a person who every time something is said around them, no matter the subject or situation they make it about them!

It is making me and others bat s**t crazy!!!

So many people think she is soo sweet, but some of her comments to pat herself on the back, and or turn all conversations around to be about her is making some

want to say something that could be taken in a hurtful way, and they and I want to shove her away. Not push, but SHOVE...

How would you guys handle this?

I believe this might be a narcissistic trait.  I had a former boss that behaved this way and no one could stand her.  A good example is that she knew I was a young widow but she went through a divorce so she deserved so much more sympathy.

I would just ignore this person. Most likely she doesn't understand why people want to shove her anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I have been taking all of your advice. But this person is still "pushing" themselves into some conversations, and/or starting another one when not included. Like a 5 year old having to have the last word! This is NOT a person one can have a talk with, as many will defend them because of their boo hoo oh poor me attitude. 

I just know if it's making me crazy, it has to be making others crazy to when talking about something and this person ALWAYS makes about them!

Again, thanks to those of you who gave some great advice :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think about something else while they are talking and then just nod and smile and throw in the obligatory comment now and then. I have a few people around me that its all about them....and sometimes I am ok to listen (rather than talk about myself) and other times I just need to tune out as I cant listen anymore. Given what I have seen and heard and dealt with post widow, nothing and I mean nothing surprises me anymore and I can see how self centered a lot of people are (and these same people are not self reflective so its always about them). On the (positive) flipside, I have also met a lot of people that are not like this - thank goodness. One more observation - I have so much on my plate and my tolerance for bad energy is limited so I tend to actively avoid people or at least really limit my interactions with people that drain my energy or have bad energy karma. I know I can come across as a bit rude sometimes by doing that but that's what I need so I do it : )

Edited by Captains wife