Post marriage financials and other updates

daysofelijah

Hi everyone!

I thought I might give an update on what happened with the financial aspects after marriage. Since it was something I seriously worried about and could never get a straight answer from anyone at SS or the county.

My kids still receive all their survivor's benefits and the money that I received was all redistributed into their payments. So I don't technically get any benefits anymore, but we get the same amount through my kids. I also got an update letter that we no longer need to do representative payee reports, so no more yearly telling them what I did with the money we received.

As far as insurance, the kids still qualify for Medical Assistance, so they are completely covered. I no longer qualify for MA with my husband's income, but they did move me to MNCare so I pay a very small fee every month for state insurance. 

So everything has worked out so far. Hopefully in the next couple years I plan to go from working as a half-time teacher to full-time, then I will be able to get off the state insurance and go through my job instead. I'm happy with how things are for now.

Otherwise the family blending has it's ups and downs. DH's son (18) has given us considerable trouble about making decisions about where he is going to live, etc. Currently he sleeps here at our house, but is otherwise never here. Which is fine for now I guess. New DH has had some struggles with our differences in discipline. He's the old fashioned "dad's way or the highway" type, where I tend to be much more relaxed. But we work things out. And in all I am very happy, it is a good life. It is worth the struggles to have the someone there to snuggle with at night and wake up with in the morning. 

I still stop by to read updates sometimes and like hearing how life is going for all of you as well! 

• Like 2

Glad to hear it is coming together!  Thanks so much for the update!  

Not sure about the benefits for your kids.  I got my letter, also.  I lose my survivor benefits when my son turns 16 which is next fall, so I am prepared for that anyway.  I didn't qualify for any when I worked full time.  Maybe that is the difference?  Still have to check on all that.  I have assets set up for my son from LH's life insurance. I can't touch a lot of it but it throws out any assistance, then like for health insurance. But I am working it out okay. 

Happy to hear about the blending working out.  Have to have some things to work through.  How could you not?   Keep us in the loop.  Makes me smile.

• Like 1

Good to know that things are working out well, days.  Social security benefits can be confusing, and I got different answers depending on who I talked with at their office.  My kids are over 18 so no bennies right now for anybody, and that's fine with me.  And best on the family blending -

Thanks for posting the update - I remember when you two were dating : ) Blending is not easy at all but it sounds like you two are working it out, and your post resonates happiness. I wondered about my son losing my LH's SS if I remarried but I was told he would not. I never qualified so I don't get anything.