A Book

Euf

I have a good friend that is a therapist.  She asked me to read a book and give her my opinion.  She thought it might be helpful for her widowed clients, but she wanted to know what an actual widowed person thought. That’s me!  An actual widowed person.

I read it and wished I had found it when I was first widowed. I read the standard “widow books” when my husband died.  I guess I got something out of them but mostly they seemed like something to do. As if they were just busy work.

My husband has been dead for 12 years, so maybe I no longer remember what it was like. But this book seems to me as if it validates the craziness of being widowed.  I don’t remember other books doing that.  Other books I read seemed to  be more about plans and fixing things and being thankful for what you are left with.  All those things were useful, but mostly I wanted someone to tell me that it was normal to be so crazy.

So if you are looking for some sort of validation of the crazy of your life, this is a useful book.

My only disclaimer is that there were things she experienced that I never did.  I’m OK with that. It isn’t a play by play book that we can follow. It’s just an honest look at the crazy of being widowed.

The book is My Husband Is Not A Rainbow by Kelley Lynn Shepard

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40497281-my-husband-is-not-a-rainbow

I agree with you on the run of the mill widow books. Dating instructions and how to balance a checking account. Silly stuff. We were married so obviously we had dating down. Can't imagine an adult who never paid bills but it could happen, I guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...