Widowed Jan 16, 2019.

His ashes arrived today.  For some reason, lying down & holding that urn close to me made me feel OK for a while.  I was actually able to smile a little.

Didn't last long, but for at least a half hour I felt a slight relief from the paralyzing pain.

Just wanted you to know- I lost my husband 6 weeks ago.  It has been horrible.  That being said, this week has been a lot better than when I was at week 4.  People who haven't been through this are NOT helpful.  I have been in bed, literally turning back and forth with chest pain and anxiety, thinking I was dying and sometimes wanting to.  Hang in there.  A few weeks makes a lot of difference, it is still horrible, but slightly better.  Someone told me "day by day", but I think that's crap.  It's more minute by minute, hour by hour.  Reading so many posts on this sight have given me slight hope for the future. If you brush you're teeth everyday, I think you are fantastic, there are still days when I do not and cannot get out of bed.  But Every week is slightly better (in general).  It does not fill the big empty hole, but allows you to walk to the side occasionally.

• Like 2

Today I took a shower.  It was my first shower in 8 days & I had to force myself to do it.

No, it didn't make me feel any better. Just cleaner. As if I care......

You know, I actually thought a shower might help me.

It didn't.

Nothing helps. Nothing.

Except one thing.......my brokenhearted brothers & sisters in this virtual community. 

@Powbesh: Grief sucks. I lost my husband 2 ½ months ago after a 2 month ordeal with his brain injury. Shower when you can and be kind to yourself. Make sure you eat real food. Eating is getting better for me. I couldn’t eat for about 3 ½ months. The people on this site are super helpful and will support you. We’re all going through it, but everyone’s journey is different.

Hugs to you…hang in there.

• 2 months later...

@powbesh, showering is the same for me. I used to love to shower and it always made me feel better. Right now it seems more of a chore than anything else..

@beanless Its only been 17 days since i lost my husband and i 100% agree with you. People have no clue what this feels like. We do. I can't say this enough, but I am so glad I found this site. Super helpful knowing that they are people out there like us.

• Like 1

I am so glad I read these quotes this morning! I thought it was just me having so much trouble in the shower. For me, it's being alone in the house, I find it creepy to get in the shower and not be able to hear anything. This site has been super in helping me feel that I am not crazy many of us widows feel this way. Hugs to you all!

• Like 2